Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Web page has been updated too. It's done with the exception of the two pieces holding the door closed. Those are being laser cut tomorrow.

I'm thinking I can do away with the piece on the inside of the door. I will still have a small piece about 3-4" long on the opposite side of the hinges to act as a door stop so it doesn't swing through to the inside though. I'm also going to try out using rare earth magnets to keep it closed, I think that would be pretty nice and work very well. Like I said on the web page, the gap around the door is roughly .012" so sealing it seems like a waste of acrylic to me as the holes in the mesh are 3 times as big and those are only 0.8mm! :shock: let me know what you think.

http://www.firstclassaquatics.com/vivarium.htm

Paul
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Re: It's done for the most part.

Wow, that is awesome...

can't wait to see it.

FCA said:
Web page has been updated too. It's done with the exception of the two pieces holding the door closed. Those are being laser cut tomorrow.

I'm thinking I can do away with the piece on the inside of the door. I will still have a small piece about 3-4" long on the opposite side of the hinges to act as a door stop so it doesn't swing through to the inside though. I'm also going to try out using rare earth magnets to keep it closed, I think that would be pretty nice and work very well. Like I said on the web page, the gap around the door is roughly .012" so sealing it seems like a waste of acrylic to me as the holes in the mesh are 3 times as big and those are only 0.8mm! :shock: let me know what you think.

http://www.firstclassaquatics.com/vivarium.htm

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of the feedback I got was to have black sides. But just like Jared J said, I can make the sides any color you want. If you want the back and bottom black and everything else clear, that is no problem.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
That is beautiful!...Uh Paul...since it's a new product, I believe that there should be some form of stress test and some free consumer product trials...I have a "facility" and all the time to give it some extremely serious testing.. :lol:

bluetip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bluetip said:
That is beautiful!...Uh Paul...since it's a new product, I believe that there should be some form of stress test and some free consumer product trials...I have a "facility" and all the time to give it some extremely serious testing.. :lol:

bluetip
LOL, I already have two people testing them for me. Of course, I have had about a hundred offers! :lol:

Jared J said:
Hmmm, now that depends on your cost and time, and the size of the tank right?
You got it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Brad,

As a breeder, obstructing the view between tanks is important in some instances. In addition, the colored acrylic sheets are 1/3 less expensive then clear. Paul's goal was to get the cost down....customization isn't a problem.

Melis

bradadams said:
Why the black sides? I think I would prefer clear.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
WOW!, The black sides are GREAT.... Damn no i need to spend money...

The key will be if they do not warp. I know this has been a problem with other peoples tanks.

As for the black sides I agree with Melissa, and think they are great. I can already see 4 of those on a rack... :)
 
G

·
Yeah, I was going to say something when you said doing the back in black (AC DC!, sorry) b/c it woulc cut costs some, why not do the bottom and the sides in black too. Still, I can see where some people might not want the sides done in black either.


-Tad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kyle1745 said:
The key will be if they do not warp. I know this has been a problem with other peoples tanks.
I talked to one of the engineers at Cyro yesterday for an hour about this problem. Cyro Industries is the largest manufacturer of acrylic in the US, and one of the largest in the world (http://www.cyro.com). Anyway, I told him about the issues everyone was having with the warping and we both came to the conclusion that it has to be due to using extruded acrylic. The molecular weight of extruded is about a third of what cast is, and that in turn is what causes it to absorb water molecules and warp. I am no scientist, but what he was saying made sense to me. That is why every acrylic aquarium you see is made from cell cast acrylic. There are also issues with joints failing for the exact same reasons that cause it to warp. So no aquarium maker is going to touch extruded acrylic, and that is also why I will never use it. Granted, it is MUCH cheaper to use extruded, but it isn't worth it in my opinion. I refuse to put out a product that is going to run the risk of joints failing or parts warping, just to save a few bucks and improve my bottom line. I have, and always will, use only cell cast acrylic in every product I make. Wow, did that sound like a commercial or what? :p LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Your very own infomercial!

FCA said:
kyle1745 said:
The key will be if they do not warp. I know this has been a problem with other peoples tanks.
I talked to one of the engineers at Cyro yesterday for an hour about this problem. Cyro Industries is the largest manufacturer of acrylic in the US, and one of the largest in the world (http://www.cyro.com). Anyway, I told him about the issues everyone was having with the warping and we both came to the conclusion that it has to be due to using extruded acrylic. The molecular weight of extruded is about a third of what cast is, and that in turn is what causes it to absorb water molecules and warp. I am no scientist, but what he was saying made sense to me. That is why every acrylic aquarium you see is made from cell cast acrylic. There are also issues with joints failing for the exact same reasons that cause it to warp. So no aquarium maker is going to touch extruded acrylic, and that is also why I will never use it. Granted, it is MUCH cheaper to use extruded, but it isn't worth it in my opinion. I refuse to put out a product that is going to run the risk of joints failing or parts warping, just to save a few bucks and improve my bottom line. I have, and always will, use only cell cast acrylic in every product I make. Wow, did that sound like a commercial or what? :p LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Nice Tank! Next question and I might have looked over it is..........How MUCH??? I seen that you ask what would be a fair price. Well being a business major it would be the time and effort put into making the product plus the cost of materials. I perosonally would like to see it around $50-$75
 
1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Top