Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing on bulkfoods.com for brewers yeast (yum), and noticed that they also sell spirulina and chlorella powder. These were mentioned as good color enhancers for frogs and I wondered if it would be good to mix into the fruit fly mash. Also they have calcium citrate powder, can you add this to the fruit fly mash to enhance the calcium in your flys?

G

·
I mix spirulina and paprika in my fruitfly media and my frogs have brilliant color but I have no clue about the calcium citrate powder you mentioned. Spirulina and chlorella powder are also great for tadpole food. Although watch how much Spirulina you add to the media. I have crashed a few cultures by adding too much of the paprika/spirulina mix to it (had nothing else to contribute it to at that time).

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
High calcium diets are a problomatic method in which to increase the dietary levels of calcium in the amphibians. High calcium diets for insects typically increase mortality of the feeder insect and have been shown to be insufficient in increasing the serum calcium levels in anurans. (You need to supplement D3 to enable the frog to utilize the calcium).

Ed

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Ed,

Do frogs get their D3 from the sun in the wild or is it too dense in the rainforest? I have been told by others not to supplement D3 with other basking herps, but a while back I asked in regards to PDF and some said they supplemented with D3 and others said they did not. Do you?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hi Josh,
If you provide D3 in the diet and supplement with UVB then the UVB acts as a safety net to insure that there is sufficient metabolically active D3 available to the animal. The point to remember is that the animal will not manufacture excess D3 if there is sufficient dietary D3 available.
I firmly believe that the frogs are exposed to UVB in the wild. UVB is refracted and reflected by leaves and water and these are not nocturnal, troglodytic, or fossorial animals. They are diurnal and are active with the sun shining. If visible light can reach the frogs so can the spectral wavelengths that make up UVB (and UVA).
I do provide UVB in some of the enclosures at work, but have had excellant success in others with a good supplement.

Hope this helps. (If I missed anything its partly due to having just finished a ten hour round road trip to discuss hellbenders with a researcher).

Ed

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much spirulina, chlorella and/or paprika does everybody add to their mix?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I pop open two capsules per mix. My flies are doing fine, but I'm not sure if this is too little, b/c i haven't seen a change in the color of my frogs yet. But, I haven't been doing it for very long...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts