Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I decided it was time to start.

This is a 14 gallon elongated octogonal tank that has been in my parent's garage since the beginning. When I got my first tree frogs for a school project, I had planned nothing as far as housing. This is the best I could come up with in a half an hour.

Pretty pathetic, isn't it?

Anyway, I decided to turn it into a proper home.

I got these charismatic pieces of cork bark at a reptile show and I will most definitely use them in this build . . . . . somehow.

I have some choices for other stuff, between some ghostwood and some other unknown branches.

Still brainstorming ideas for setup, particularly the hood, because the light that it has right now is not what I want for it, but I have a general idea of the shape and profile of what I want it to be.

I'm wondering what to do for a background paired up with the cork. I don't want to use GS foam cause I used it last time, and I didn't really like how it turned out anyway. I'm contemplating the grout method, due to its seemingly much greater resistance to deterioration. Would Quickcrete work for this? We have a ton of that stuff.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I would go with a 360 degree design. Just add some stuff in the middle(small stump or DIY stump) or place small branches left to right, and front to back for elevated areas. I think by trying to build some type of BG would take up much needed space unless you kept it simple(thin). Cool tank BTW!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My biggest problem is that I would have nowhere to put it if it were a 360 degree design. That or one side would get sorely underviewed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My biggest problem is that I would have nowhere to put it if it were a 360 degree design. That or one side would get sorely underviewed.
If that's the case then a very steep ground slope from front to back would look cool if you used mostly ground covers and very few upright plants and maybe a very small pond the size of a drink saucer near the front. BTW, what is the height of that tank? for 14 gal, I wouldn't think it could be much more than 12".

Just trying to put a few ideas in your head... based off of what I would do with that particular tank;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's dimensions are 16"x10"x24" minus a 6" wide chunk taken out of each corner.

I was wondering what the ID for this begonia is. I'm wanting to put it in the future tank. Could the results be disastrous?

Here is an up close of the leaf.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy giant blizzard Batman! We are finally getting winter here! :D But that also means that I can't get any work done on the viv. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well hello there, it's been quite a while . . . . . . . . . . and quite a lot of progress.

Got the Frameworks all taken care of.

And a test fit of the cork.

One thing led to another and I got this (I had my camera fixed so I don't currently have half of the pics).

Here's a view of the cave that I'll be doing that I siliconed a bunch of pond rocks to.

As you can see, I finally decided on using sodium bentonite, aka kitty litter, for the background. I'm not putting in a water feature, and I like the idea of being able to change it around a bit. I kinda don't like the look of those ledges in the middle, they seem a bit conspicuous and cartoony and I'll most likely change them, but that's the nice thing about this stuff!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do not worry. Lighting is on the way! I swear this thing is gonna light up the universe! Now I just need the glue to dry . . . . . . and some holes to drill.

Hello?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts