Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, Doug (Pumilio) sent a group of R. vanzoliniis out from Colorado on Tuesday, May 10Th, which were supposed to arrive overnight here in New York City Wednesday, May 11Th. The package (sent via USPS) was lost for many days and both parties had determined that the frogs were a loss.

So, around 2:00PM today, the local post master came by with a package for me to sign for. Of course, I told him how incredibly dissapointed I was in the USPS for killing such beautiful frogs. There wasn't any real point in making him suffer about it, I just wanted him to know how badly I felt the they had killed my frogs.

I brought the package into the house and brought out my camera to document the sad event of unpacking the dead frogs. The outside of the box looked good, so it wasn't thrown around too much. I removed the layers of styrofoam and the now rock-hard phase panels that Dough had placed in there (btw, the packing was really first rate).

The frogs were in individual cups and not moving. As soon as I started moving one around, the little Vanzolinii inside sprang to life! It was ALIVE!!! (I actually started doing an impersonation of Dr. Frankenstein, yelling "IT'S ALIVE!!") So, I carefully started removing the three other cups, thinking maybe one could have lived, but that that was a one-off. Cup after cup, the little guys starting bouncing around (I think being shocked out of their semi-hibernation). All of the Vanzoliniis were alive!

I brought them over to their new home (a 15 gallon vertical set-up) and carefully released each in turn into the new enclosure. I let them settle-in for about 1/2 hour, then released some wingless D. melanogasters. The frogs were ravenous! Even though the smallest one was quite skinny, they all began eating (and now, three hours later, look like little ballons from all the food they've eaten). I don't think we're "out of the woods" entirely, but I feel that it is a good sign that they are moving around well and taking food.

As many of you know around here, I am not what you would call a "prayer", but I'd like to send a little thank you to the "ethers" for getting these wonderful little frogs through their voyage around North America. Apparently, they are a bit tougher than I thought they would be. There survival is also a testament to Doug's very good work at packaging them correctly. THANKS, DOUG!

Take care, Richard.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Thats awesome! Im glad it turned up and the little guys are alive.

Just in time for the apocalypse!
:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
wow!! more than one week!! this guys are much stronger than we think sometimes, congratulations!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think SOMEONE owes Doug a refunded refund. Hehe. I bet they will be just fine. Eating well and in the hands of a veteran frogger is the best they could do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, USPS refunds the shipping on guaranteed delivery date packages....perhaps a call to the postmaster is on order?

Congrats on the frogs! How sadly that could have turned out....got to love a happy ending!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Awesome! I was pretty sure this story could only have a tragic ending. Once they have been acclimated can you ask them where they were all this time?

Congrats.

·
Registered
591 Posts
What an awesome story!!! I can't believe those little dudes are still kicking. You will have to keep us posted on how they settle in.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,719 Posts
I hope they're not too weakened from the ordeal.

I wouldn't consider them ok until they've alive for another few months.

That said - I'm very happy to see they made it.

Happy for all three of you involved in the transactions - and the frogs involved.

s

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Great news...Great packing and strong bred frogs equals a good outcome. I wouldn't have expected this either. Goes to show they are stronger creatures then we thought.

Good luck with them Richard.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
That is wonderful news... those are some very lucky frogs! :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts