Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so after 10 or so years of reading and watching I finally decided to pull the trigger.

Here is my first idea for the tank and planting, anyone see any major flaws? The cork and glass will be foamed and covered with a background mixture, plants will be drilled and glued in place on the cork.

UPDATE....

Tank is carved, mossed and planted, I really should have hidden some little pots in the background. I had alot of trouble planting this guy. Does anyone see any issues that I might have?

cissus amazonica (left side) I don't think will come back... its rooted in some spag moss so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Pilea moon valleys are just rooted in the ABG mix, I'm hoping it doesn't retain too much water and won't rot out the roots

Ficus Panama is in some spag moss on that cork bark upshoot.

peperomia piccolo banda are just pushed into the ABG mix on the left side by the monkey pod

The 'Prayer' plant is tucked in behind the cork panel against the drip wall on right right hand side.

There is also some live terrarium moss pressed onto the cork bark in the top left corner and where the two pieces meet on the right side.

UPDATE # 3

20210515_101614.jpg
20210515_101620.jpg
20210515_101625.jpg
20210515_101633.jpg
20210515_101647.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
Hey guys, so after 10 or so years of reading and watching I finally decided to pull the trigger.

Here is my first idea for the tank and planting, anyone see any major flaws? The cork and glass will be foamed and covered with a background mixture, plants will be drilled and glued in place on the cork. View attachment 299257
Looks like a good start :). What species of frogs are you thinking about? In my opinion, it's always best to start by selecting the species of frogs and going from there. It's an 18x18x24" exo terra, right? Gives you lots of options for what to put in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a biopod, the dimensions are 24 x 15 x 21. I'm thinking it'll house some Tinc's, if I can keep the plants alive

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I like it. I like the vertical 'trunk face' plane on the right. Its cool to provide/enable all the different modes of locomotion and perching. And you got a perfect little bounce off cork scape to the left not to mention all the leafy lushness of your future plants.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like it. I like the vertical 'trunk face' plane on the right. Its cool to provide/enable all the different modes of locomotion and perching. And you got a perfect little bounce off cork scape to the left not to mention all the leafy lushness of your future plants.
Same!

Tincs are pretty hardy frogs (meaning they don't get stuck easily) - so might benefit from not "filling in" all the cork tubes / behind the cork with foam.

Just need to make sure they have enough space to get out of the cork in several places / on both ends and maybe also add a hole / crack in the middle of the tube so you can see them. Benefit is more usable space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to do as thin of a layer of possible just to cover up the glass

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm trying to avoid using any silicone, I could try gorilla glue right on the glass I guess

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Back at ya eMCray.

A crack is always a good idea. Explore the innards and diameters of cork tubes carefully before using. Freak accidents happen in nature, too. And plenty in captivity because of repeat encounter and habitual use + incremental growth and an unfortunate moment of physical position.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm trying to avoid using any silicone, I could try gorilla glue right on the glass I guess
The best adhesive for glass, doing what we do, is silicone.

I don't even use spray foam for my background, silicone and peat moss directly on the glass. No loss of space.
This is similar to what I do, except I like the cracked-cork mosaic - just silicone cork pieces to the glass and once cured, stuff the cracks with moss. You get more space for climbing and planting, and very little loss of "dead air". If you lay out the cork pieces well you can make it easy to wedge branches cross-wise in there, too.

I really don't understand why so many people are still foaming large expanses of their vivs.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I really don't understand why so many people are still foaming large expanses of their vivs.
While it admittedly doesn't offer the opportunity for reliefs, pockets and ledges that cork mosaic does, I prefer siliconing treefern panels to the back wall.

The whole Great Stuff thing has rubbed me wrong since the days of Frognet, but apparently I'm something of an outlier in that regard.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts

Here is my first idea for the tank and planting, anyone see any major flaws? The cork and glass will be foamed and covered with a background mixture, plants will be drilled and glued in place on the cork. View attachment 299257

UPDATE....

Tank is carved, mossed and planted, I really should have hidden some little pots in the background. I had alot of trouble planting this guy. Does anyone see any issues that I might have?

cissus amazonica (left side) I don't think will come back... its rooted in some spag moss so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Pilea moon valleys are just rooted in the ABG mix, I'm hoping it doesn't retain too much water and won't rot out the roots

Ficus Panama is in some spag moss on that cork bark upshoot.

peperomia piccolo banda are just pushed into the ABG mix on the left side by the monkey pod

The 'Prayer' plant is tucked in behind the cork panel against the drip wall on right right hand side.

There is also some live terrarium moss pressed onto the cork bark in the top left corner and where the two pieces meet on the right side.

View attachment 299445
I like the layout. I would recommend more structure in the middle of the tank (diagonal wood pieces do this well).

You mention in your other post about heating the tank. What are your regular room temperatures?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The house is usually around 68F during the day and 64F at night.

I agree, the middle could use something. I was going to wait to see if the plants all live and take off before filling in any more space in case I have to make some changes.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
The house is usually around 68F during the day and 64F at night.

I agree, the middle could use something. I was going to wait to see if the plants all live and take off before filling in any more space in case I have to make some changes.
Your temperatures are pretty close to mine during the day and night in the winter here (temperatures in my frog room are 68-69F during the day and down to 64-66F overnight), inside the tanks it's a few degrees warmer from the lights.

I would recommend monitoring the temperatures in the tank WITHOUT any supplemental heating for awhile to see what the range of temperatures in the tank is.

One way to fill up the tank middle bit would be to move the pilea Moon Valley to the centre of the tank. It grows tall and is sturdy enough for the frogs to climb on

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Posted an update with some more pictures above.

I added a temporary fan to get some air movement to help the plants out a little. Hoping they're just in an adjustment period and they'll soon start rooting and get back to looking healthier.

I added a piece of cork bark to take up some of the empty space, I GG'd it in place to the other cork bark piece.

So far I haven't used a drop of silicone, its all been gorilla glue (the brown one) and everything's holding really well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts