Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got the 3 bulb Exo-Terra compact top in the mail today and as my luck would have it, one of the bulb fixtures doesn't work (pic)...has anyone happened to come across this before with these things? Maybe some suggestions to try or am I just going to have to deal with the annoying online return? Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a similar problem. Try a different bulb to see if it works. When I tried a name brand bulb(GE), one socket didn't work, but if I tried a generic one it worked(both where same wattage and k rating). I don't know much about lighting, however the GE brand one says "self ballasted" on it and the generic didn't, if someone can shed more info on this that would be great.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've had this problem with both the 2-socket and 3-socket exos. I just moved bulbs around and it fixed the problem (i.e. use the exact same bulbs in different positions). Don't understand why...but it's worked every time for me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha so I had the same problem, but opposite...weird...when I was switching bulbs around to the socket that wasn't working I was switching between two of the same brand (ecosmart). Going off of your advice I put the other bulb (GE) in and viola!

Just to test I tried both of the other bulbs in that slot again with no success. Nooo idea why that would be the case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think there just may be an issue in general with cfl's. Today I put 2 new ge cfls in, one worked the other didnt, swapped them and they worked fine. These were both standard bulb sockets in an arcade game marquis. Strange.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think there just may be an issue in general with cfl's. Today I put 2 new ge cfls in, one worked the other didnt, swapped them and they worked fine. These were both standard bulb sockets in an arcade game marquis. Strange.
**unplug fixture**

Using tweaser or skinny finger, reach down in socket and pull little center tab forward / out about 1/16 - 18 th of inch w/o breaking it off(!)

Sometimes in those fixtures... the center contact tab can get bent down so far that only a bulb that screws in really far well make contact with it.

I know all the cfls you are screwing in should be the same brand etc. in theory... and all seat the same once screwed into a socket...

But I have had this happen to me a few times while working with those fixtures and that did the trick to get it to work.

Anyway- 2 cents for what it's worth!

Cheers, :D
Todd

·
Registered
188 Posts
**unplug fixture**

Using tweaser or skinny finger, reach down in socket and pull little center tab forward / out about 1/16 - 18 th of inch w/o breaking it off(!)

Sometimes in those fixtures... the center contact tab can get bent down so far that only a bulb that screws in really far well make contact with it.

I know all the cfls you are screwing in should be the same brand etc. in theory... and all seat the same once screwed into a socket...

But I have had this happen to me a few times while working with those fixtures and that did the trick to get it to work.

Anyway- 2 cents for what it's worth!

Cheers, :D
Todd

All my bulbs work now! Now i see the difference, the ends are shorter on the ones not previously working. Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks that was exactly my issue too! I actually emailed customer service about the issue too and their only advice was that the socket was bad and to return it...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a side note, have any of you ever re-wired the exo fixtures, so the two switches would run on independent power cords? I was thinking it could be somewhat nice to have the center bulb turn on first, and off last so there's a bit of a transition between brightness and darkness.

I'm far from being an electritian, but I do have a few electrical engineer friends that could probably do it so I don't fry myself.

·
Registered
557 Posts
All my bulbs work now! Now i see the difference, the ends are shorter on the ones not previously working. Thanks!
Thanks that was exactly my issue too! I actually emailed customer service about the issue too and their only advice was that the socket was bad and to return it...

Excellent.

when you get old like me, its just good to be able to feel useful.:rolleyes:

I am glad I am good for something. ;)

Cheers!
Todd
lightyourreptiles.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts