Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone hope all is going well, have a question about isopods, my dwarf white isopods are thriving, and now I’m thinking about getting some different types of isopod as well for my Tinctorious/Phyllobates, any one got any recommendations what kind of isopods are your favorite?

Thanks,
Mikey

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hello everyone hope all is going well, have a question about isopods, my dwarf white isopods are thriving, and now I’m thinking about getting some different types of isopod as well for my Tinctorious/Phyllobates, any one got any recommendations what kind of isopods are your favorite?

Thanks,
Mikey
I only use dwarf white Isopods in my frog tanks. I keep 20+ other kinds of Isopods but don't use them in my frog tanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
I agree with FG. I have a cx of Porcellionides pruinosis “orange” that I thought I'd use for frogs, but after growing them out for a while I figured out that they would be a poor choice -- too big, too active, and way, way too big an appetite. Those wouldn't be clean up crew, they would be cohabitators, with all the problems that go along with that.

Reactions: M I K E Y

·
Registered
342 Posts
There's a dwarf isopod called Trichoniscus pusillus that is really fantastic for vivariums. It's smaller and more elongate than dwarf whites but is far more active and spends less time burrowing into the substrate - it's even slightly smaller than dwarf purples. I have the parthenogenic form and in my experience they are much more proific than dwarf whites in my tanks.
It's not a tropical species but neither is Porcellionides pruinosus and both thrive at warm temperatures.
T. pusillus is a European native but has been introduced to various warmer habitats including parts of the continental USA so you may be able to find some. I'm fortunate that the parthenogenic form is common where I live so I was able to isolate and culture them a long time ago. Members from the UK should consider establishing a culture of these but be warned, they are commony host to isopod irridovirus, you should be very careful to isolate healthy individuals and culture them well away from your other animals, and particularly other isopods cultures, for a few generations. The good news is that they're actually one of the most common isopods in the UK.
Paradoxically these reproduce much more explosively IN my gecko tanks where they are being constantly eaten than they do in isolated cultures. It's not at all obvious to me why although I suspect it's something to do with moisture levels.
I really wish I could get ahold of some Atlantoscia floridana 'florida fast isopods' that you have in the USA, i know my geckos would go mad for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts