Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so as you probably know already im working on a prety large viv that i plan to seed with some isopods or springtails or both. i have heard stories tho of populations getting out of control in a tank and taking over. is there any way of preventing this? what would you guys recommend i use to seed this tank?

It is an exoterra 36x18x36 with about 2/3 land and a small stream running from the left of the tank acrosss the front to the right of the tank so i dont have to worry about them escaping through the door or vents. i plant on housing 2-4 costa rican green and black auratus. any input would be of a great help.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The best thing to do is to seed your viv with a couple of different species of both isopods and springtails. You might get occasional microfauna "blooms" in your viv, but this is not something to worry about. Your frogs will just eat them up and bring the microfauna population under control.

Also, this is one of the reasons why it is recommended that you set up the frogs' enclosure in advance to introducing the frogs; this way the plants and microfauna both have time to get established.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best thing to do is to seed your viv with a couple of different species of both isopods and springtails. You might get occasional microfauna "blooms" in your viv, but this is not something to worry about. Your frogs will just eat them up and bring the microfauna population under control.

Also, this is one of the reasons why it is recommended that you set up the frogs' enclosure in advance to introducing the frogs; this way the plants and microfauna both have time to get established.
Thanks for the reply. i was thinking this also but i wasnt sure if a population got too out of control if the frogs would be able to keep up. i guess if that was the case i could just not throw in fruit flies, forcing the frogs to hunt and help get the population under control.

yea i plan on finishing up this tank and have it planted by the end of this month. after that i hope to get ahold of some microfauna cultures and seed the tank and let that establish for a month or two. do you think this is too long and the population might get to high? i dont plan on buying any inhabitants until the long island reptile expo at the end of october. lemme know what you think.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yea i plan on finishing up this tank and have it planted by the end of this month. after that i hope to get ahold of some microfauna cultures and seed the tank and let that establish for a month or two. do you think this is too long and the population might get to high? i dont plan on buying any inhabitants until the long island reptile expo at the end of october. lemme know what you think.
You may want to go ahead and get your cultures now to get them going. Seeding a tank is great, but it's good to have a culture going in case they don't establish well in your viv. Plus it's something to keep you entertained while you wait for your frogs. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive really never heard of micro fauna taking over a viv or becoming a problem. I agree I would get your culture now so you can seed with half and practice culturing the rest.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have never had that problem, but if I did, the answer seems easy enough.
Don't feed the viv for 2 or 3 days. (still feed your frogs, just don't feed the microfauna)
Now feed heavily in just a couple of spots in the viv. Wait 12 hours and scoop out the food which should be crawling with critters.
A cycle or three like that should thin them out just fine.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was unaware that you had to feed the microfauna all the time. I thought you only fed them yeast when starting a viv until you get the leaf litter decomposing and frog waste. Do you always have to add yeast or other food?
that would be a good solution though.
i am waiting until i finish the viv before i order the microfauna so that i have a place to put them. I understand i need to get some practice culturing them but i would rather wait until i get my viv all finished up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts