Dendroboard banner

Isopods Dying

18K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  sdeegray 
#1 ·
I'm a bit stumped as to what the problem here is. I started with a single culture of dwarf purple isopods, and split it into four new cultures last week. Yesterday I checked the new cultures, and found one entire culture was dead - all of the isopods had swarmed to the top of the container and died. The other three cultures - which were all set up exactly the same - were fine. Well, today I go and check again, and find a second culture completely dead. Again, just one culture, and the remaining two are all fine and active.

I've got them set up in sandwich-size Ziploc containers filled with moist NEHerp mix and a torn piece of cardboard on top. There is also a chunk of bug burger in each container. Any ideas on what's wrong? Would like to figure this out before my last two crash on me. :(

#4 ·
I'll give that a try, but it's just odd that only one culture at a time is dying off. The culture they all came from was exactly the same as these, only it had roughly 4x the isopods in it. That one was going for months without issue, then after being split they start going one by one.

#5 ·
Though it is difficult to be certain, I agree that ventilation could be the issue. Fungal or bacterial growth can be sudden, and not always visibly apparent, yet both will quickly deplete oxygen. The fact that the isopods swarmed to the top of the container is one piece of evidence that points that way. Colonies can do well for months, and then suddenly succumb. I do not use any tightly sealed containers for this reason. Just in case. 😀

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

#7 ·
Ive kept iso's in sealed containers and have never had any losses like that. You should recheck what you placed in the substrate mix and did you wash the container before you threw everything in? You should poke a few holes in the top to avoid CO2 build up, but still weird.

#8 ·
Unlikely to be the cardboard, although I suppose it could be. The cardboard was the only different thing between the old culture and the new ones (different box). I'm going to clean all the containers, replace the cardboard, and hope that prevents the last two cultures from suffering similar fates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.