Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to build a vivarium specifically for isopods. I was wondering if a 40g breeder with a mesh lid would suffice?

My concerns are ventilation, humidity and intruders.
A mesh lid should provide ventilation but then I heard CO2 may just sit on the bottom.
Humidity would be lost but I plan to mist regularly and use sphagnum moss patches to hold moisture in locations for the little ones.
How small does the mesh need to be to prevent unwanted guest? Will it still allow ventilation at that size?

·
Registered
410 Posts
In my experience some isopods need almost no ventilation at all. I have a large co-culture of dwarf purple isopods and little kenyan roaches in a roughly 16" square airtight plastic food container and it has ONE hole for ventilation in the lid about 0.5cm in diameter. It's been running for a very long time without any problems and I'd estimate there are probably considerably more than a thousand isopods in there and maybe a hundred or more cockroaches.
Not only that but it's kept in a drawer and always has been so it gets even less air.
At least for dwarf purples I don't think ventilation beyond a bare minimum for oxygen is necessary at all and suspect the same would be true for dwarf whites that tend to spend so much time underground.
Larger species from drier climates may have very different requirements though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts