Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorius Alalapadu Cobalt F1 1.1.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gang,
So I have a 24x18 screen cover on my ExoTerra viv that is in sad shape. The plastic support bar is badly warped. I’d like to purchase a new one, but I think I have the clip, not swivel style. Josh has some, but they are the swivel style and indicate that they do not work in my case. I cannot seem to find one anywhere. I am open to an entirely new option as well
Thoughts? Suggestions? Have a link to one?

TIA
- blindboy
Window Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Television set

Plant Gas Tints and shades Bumper Snapshot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Replace the top with a piece of 3/16" tempered glass and a 'window screen kit' insert for the vented area.
I did see a previous post with details for building that screen. I didn’t quite understand why it was so narrow. Reading your reply, it totally makes sense now. Thanks.
PS: Has anyone done this with a hinge? Or do I leave it loose for easy access when needed?
Also, how would I remount the mist king nozzles? I suppose I could just reuse the existing screen and mount them similarly.

·
Administrator
6,727 Posts
Or do I leave it loose for easy access when needed?
Also, how would I remount the mist king nozzles?
The glass wouldn't need to be attached, as its weight holds it in place. The screen inserts don't stay in place quite as well (they deflect a little, and are light weight), so I use a couple pieces of Scotch tape to just make sure it isn't going to pop up a corner. People do silicone all this stuff in, but personally I don't think that's the best way.

Since it makes more sense from a ventilation point of view to have the screen area in the back of the viv (and typically the misting nozzles are closer to the front), the glass can be drilled for insertion of the nozzles. If you buy tempered glass the holes will be need to drilled by the glass people before they temper it; if you're using annealed glass you can drill the holes yourself after you get the glass.

Reactions: fishingguy12345

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have a 24x18 exo top. I think it has a hole in it where I attached the misting nozzle. I also have no idea what it would cost to ship. You can message me. Your best option is to upgrade your top by making some screen vents and pairing them with a piece of glass. Almost assuredly cheaper than having one shipped to you. Also, less of a carbon footprint building one yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agreed on all, thanks for offering. Unless you‘re out West, shipping would probably be cost prohibitive. I am handy so I don’t mind building my own. That said, I do like having matching items! It would be nice to have the clips for security.
i don’t think I can message you anyway, still a newb here.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
agreed on all, thanks for offering. Unless you‘re out West, shipping would probably be cost prohibitive. I am handy so I don’t mind building my own. That said, I do like having matching items! It would be nice to have the clips for security.
i don’t think I can message you anyway, still a newb here.
I'm pretty confident I do not have the clips, just fyi. Creating a top of a combination of glass and screen is really the way to go. It looks so smooth when you do it right. You can check out this build thread of mine to see how my tops look.

24x36 benedicta shucushuyacu enclosure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts