Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have an exo-terra hygrothermometer and it is reading 81% humidity right now. they have condensation on all the walls, and at night when the temps go down the front glass fogs up. Is this humidity high enough for most thumbnails?

Also, is a layering technique of shredded newspaper and peat moss a good idea for iso culturing? If not, what might help to add to it? (crushed charcoal maybe?)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Even worse! Soy used to be included in some homemade fruitfly medias. Until more has been found out about the links between soy and estrogen. This could be messing with froglet sexes.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You can get all this at Lowes. Try equal parts Peat (the ground up dirt like stuff, not the long fibered), Charcoal, and orchid bark.
Now mix that half and half with hand crushed leaf litter. It's hard to have too much leaf litter. They love it!
Wouldn't make a half bad viv substrate either.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
You can cultivate them on 100% leaf litter if you want. Theres a lot of benefits to culturing them on a completely edible substrate that can be directly added to the viv.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually ended up doing 1/4 peat, 1/4 crushed charcoal, 1/4 orchid bark, and 1/4 cypress mulch. I didn't have enough leaf litter (sadly if it was fall I would not be having this problem) so I just put a generous layer on top. I think it'll still work... albeit the production may not be quite as high...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts