Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
133 Posts
Umm - heck yeah!
This is a well thought out, planned, and executed vivarium build.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
The answer will depend on what's going into the tank.
I'm assuming that's an 18x18x24" tank. If it's for a pair of large bodied terrestrial frogs then that setup may not be the best.

The cork tube with the open end might be a hiding spot for the frogs that you can never get them out of if you're ever trying to remove the frogs from the tank.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The answer will depend on what's going into the tank.
I'm assuming that's an 18x18x24" tank. If it's for a pair of large bodied terrestrial frogs then that setup may not be the best.

The cork tube with the open end might be a hiding spot for the frogs that you can never get them out of if you're ever trying to remove the frogs from the tank.
Looks like an excellent viv for thumbs and potentially leucs (depends on the height). Could even use a few more "protruding" branches to fill in the negative space (for example one group of my leucs sleeps between the slats of a free-hanging wooden vanda orchid basket; was very surprised first time I saw them in there, since the climb wasn't exactly easy).

For larger terrestrial darts I'd add more layering / ledges on the ground as well as ramps or go with a wider viv.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Umm - heck yeah!
This is a well thought out, planned, and executed vivarium build.

@GEG64 Not sure where you (can) base any of this on?

As mentioned above, the suitability of the enclosure depends on what species of poison frog you had in mind to build the enclosure for. Imo, based on the size of the enclosure and the layout inside, it does not suit annything perfectly at the moment. For Thumbnails, Epipedobates or Oophaga I'd defentily add more bromeliads. After tweeking this the tank will be close to good for such species. For any 'larger' frog species, this tank looks quite small..

Seems like there is a layer of spaghnum underneath your leaflitter? I guess you also might want to get rid of that before introducing any frogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@GEG64 Not sure where you (can) base any of this on?

As mentioned above, the suitability of the enclosure depends on what species of poison frog you had in mind to build the enclosure for. Imo, based on the size of the enclosure and the layout inside, it does not suit annything perfectly at the moment. For Thumbnails, Epipedobates or Oophaga I'd defentily add more bromeliads. After tweeking this the tank will be close to good for such species. For any 'larger' frog species, this tank looks quite small..

Seems like there is a layer of spaghnum underneath your leaflitter? I guess you also might want to get rid of that before introducing any frogs.
So lemme get everything straight, more bromeliads, take spaghnum moss out from underneath maybe add more protruding branches, fill in the cork hollow so I can retrieve frogs if needed and find another way to fill in negative space. Seems reasonable :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
So lemme get everything straight, more bromeliads, take spaghnum moss out from underneath maybe add more protruding branches, fill in the cork hollow so I can retrieve frogs if needed and find another way to fill in negative space. Seems reasonable :)
More bromeliads deped on the species your going for. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
From the size of the nozzle, I would say this is a 12x12x18, which is a bit small for anything but thumbnails. Can you confirm size?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More bromeliads deped on the species your going for. :)
I’m contemplating ranitomeya Amazonica, ranitomeya vanzolinii, as well as ranitomeya southern varibilis 😀 so yes, thumbnails so I will definitely get some more broms up in there I also recently did some more work In there so now in the back there’s some space to fill so any bromeliads that get big let me know what ones to get for that empty space 😋

·
Registered
233 Posts
I’m contemplating ranitomeya Amazonica, ranitomeya vanzolinii, as well as ranitomeya southern varibilis 😀 so yes, thumbnails so I will definitely get some more broms up in there I also recently did some more work In there so now in the back there’s some space to fill so any bromeliads that get big let me know what ones to get for that empty space 😋
Yep - that sounds excellent. Broms also help fill in some of the "negative space" (other than / in combination with added branches).

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
133 Posts
@Tijl Not sure where you (can) base any of this on?

Basing this on how nice the layout and planting looks.
True it does depend on what will be housed as it is on a smallish scale, but still looks great.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
@Tijl Not sure where you (can) base any of this on?

Basing this on how nice the layout and planting looks.
True it does depend on what will be housed as it is on a smallish scale, but still looks great.

That's why I ask. I don't see anything that points out directly this was quote 'thought out, planned, and well executed' for any species of dartfrogs.

The fact that the build was estheticly pleasing to you is not the same as the words you used to describe the enclosure or answer the op's question if it's suited for frogs.
I feel the answer you gave might be confusing or misleading to the OP (orr other readers) and could made him potentialy led him to put frogs into an enclosure that was not suited for them.

I just think we need to be carefull with our use of words sometimes. But I'm glad you like the layout the OP made so far 😄 don't get me wrong. I'm sure he is happy with the compliment you gave.

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
133 Posts
@Tijl

I do agree with you. At the time I didn't know what size Turquoisejungle had.

I'm still learning in this hobby. So far it's fun and everyone here is helpful.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is it a sphagnum layer only underneath? I guess, not mixed with other components? Sphagnum as a unique layer is not ok, but using a mixture and sphagnum as a percentage of that mixture, could be fine depending on plants you are going to set there.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
@Tijl

I'm still learning in this hobby. So far it's fun and everyone here is helpful.

We all are learning new things all the time, no mather how long we are practicing this hobby.. :)

To keep on learning, experiencing or sharing is a big part of the hobby's charm for me personaly.

I agree! The board has a ton of very enthousiastic and helpful active people.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, it looks really nice. I'd expect it to look even nicer once it grows in.

I agree about blocking that cork tube- I would stuff something in it so that the frogs can only go an inch or two into it at most. Leave it as a hiding place, but don't let them vanish into it.

Is that plant on the right, with the holes in its leaves, a monstera? Those get pretty big. And if that pale, mottled one in the back is a caladium, I'm pretty sure those are outdoor garden plants, not terrarium plants. Be sure to keep on top of pruning that nerve plant in the front left, those can get fairly large (though still reasonable enough for larger vivs) if you let 'em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts