Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if this tank is bland after looking at other peoples tanks. I’m even starting to wonder if I have enough hiding spots. The foam I’m going to paint over so it doesn’t look ugly. I’m trying to keep the fern in the front and back alive. The one in the front is slowly progressing but the one in the back is taking a little less time to grow back. Thoughts? Here to except criticism.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I’m wondering if this tank is bland after looking at other peoples tanks. I’m even starting to wonder if I have enough hiding spots. The foam I’m going to paint over so it doesn’t look ugly. I’m trying to keep the fern in the front and back alive. The one in the front is slowly progressing but the one in the back is taking a little less time to grow back. Thoughts? Here to except criticism.
Looks like a newly setup tank so while it may appear bland now, give it some time to grow in and it will look much better in a few months.

As for the paint, that ship may have passed. As in it probably should have been done prior to adding plants. I wouldn't trust it to cure properly in that environment. With that said I don't see any "offensive" places that you have missed.

One thing I think your tanks could use is the implementation of a vining, creeping, and shingling plants. I think adding them would add greater diversity to the overall look and feel of your tank.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So funny story. I have a plant right behind my fern in the front and it’s a vine plant (not sure what kind). Anyways it was supposed to go where the fern in the back is but I’m kinda clumsy and I put the fern in the back. But with time, I’m going to try and put the vine on the branch if it can grow that large. This is a new tank and I have Sls in it.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Adding some solid surface available stratum (wood/branch/cork/rock-form) would be a frog-centric positive - with the plant grow in or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
What species of frog is this going to house? What size viv is it? Do you have a full-viv pic to show?

Whatever the details, I'd pull out that sphagnum layer. No benefit from it, and rots plants/leaves/frog feet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Epipedobates anthonyi, 18x18x18, and yes. I’ll pull out the moss. I actually had a problem like that with my crested gecko. I pulled the sphagnum moss out because I was scared he would eat a cricket and accidentally pick up the moss and choke on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Thanks -- it helps to get a feeling for the whole layout with a pic like that.

Looks as if it needs more ventilation, unless the plexi sheet doesn't extend all the way back. A couple inch strip of screen, at minimum.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drilled 4 (about an inch thick) holes on each side. It’s plexiglass so I might need a drill. Probably going to do that another day.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also the plexiglass comes up in the back. Don’t think that helps though. (Not as much in the front but still comes up)

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
I drilled 4 (about an inch thick) holes on each side. It’s plexiglass so I might need a drill. Probably going to do that another day.
A one-inch circle has an area of 0.78 sq inch, so four of these have 3.12 sq inches. A 2" strip across the back of an 18" viv (the screen is about 16" across) has 32 sq inches.

Reactions: Broseph

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 2 frogs in a tank that have had the same setup as them and they came about 3 months ago. I had 2 other frogs a little while ago in the same tank. One died of an unknown reason and about 2 years later the other one escaped and died. I’m not so sure though as they were dendrobates azureus.

·
Registered
513 Posts
As long as you’re asking...

I second SM’s advice to remove the loose sphagnum and increase ventilation to the level he recommended.

More wood “layers”, like Kmc said, wouldn’t hurt either.

Regarding the plants; looks like soil pockets in the background? The fern and cryptanthus might like it, but keep soil away from the base of bromeliads- they will rot. Speaking of broms, I’d probably add one 2/3 the way up the vertical “shin” of that front piece of wood. I like to avoid “theatre seating“ the plants in my vivs, and it will make a dry shady spot on the ground up front. Most of my frogs love dry shady spots.

Typical shinglers and epiphytes don’t seem to love cocofiber over great stuff, but ficus would climb it.

Edit: is that a lemon button fern in the front right? If so, it will engulf the entire viv. Best to get it out now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok first, I washed the soil of the brom but since the brom was rooted in the sphagnum moss, I couldn’t disconnect it without breaking the roots. I don’t know if sphagnum is a problem. Next, I checked on Josh’s frogs where I bought the plants and I don’t remember buying a lemon button fern. Plus the structure was a little different.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way could someone show me an example photo of a ventilation system so I can base it off that?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have this cool idea to move the coconut hut to where the vine is and make the vine go on-top of that. (Edit: forget about it. Doesn’t look as good)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just added the openings and got about 27.12 sq. Inches. I could be wrong and miscalculated that but then I probably only need to cut an inch off. If there is something wrong with this please let me know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts