Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just opened up my box of silicones i ordered off idealsealants.com this week. i ordered 3 clear and 3 black silicones off the section on there website that said "aquatic" on there site it says " Has first rate resistance to water and UV rays and has permanent elasticity under all climate conditions. SX Polyflex LM is only harmful to aquatic organisms during application and the curing process. Once fully cured all harmful solvents will have evaporated making it inert." and also "This sealant and adhesive can also be used in aquatic environments once cured." BUT.... on the tube it says.....harmful to aquatic organisms,may cause long term adverse effects in aquatic environment. contains isocyanates- see information supplied by the manufacturer..... they have sent the right bottles as have doubled checked. do you know if it is safe to use? thanks.....ross

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yah it probably is safe, like it said its only toxic during application so once dried its perfectly safe and your frogs could probably hope all over it and nothing would happen.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I believe Ed was telling me that exposure to isocyanates may be one of the causes of sls in froglets. People have had breeding success using silicones which contain isocyanates and the bio-seal ingredients, so nothing is truely certain.

Search for the thread "bio-seal" and read through it. Then make your own conclusion from it.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Once isocyanate is cured it is safe (after all that is the main ingredient to not super glue which is used to adhere coral cuttings to reef structures (in water)). It is also used a a form of suture in surgery.

Organotins are where we have the discussions and disagreements as to possible risks. Silicone mixes that do not release acetic acid (vinegar smell) release ammonia instead during curing are the ones that some consider suspect.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts