Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been using this for a couple yrs in my reef tanks without any issues. Ive got a bunch left over and wanted to see how yall feel about it for use in my viv? It says its portable water safe.

Product in question is
E-Marco-400 10Lb Kit

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well its used for aquascaping aquariums so i would say that it would be safe to use in your viv

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am not sure about that, i would not think it would cause any problems though.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have not used that product myself, but a quick search on thorite, the main ingredient of said product revealed this

Thorite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article and several others I brought up claim that thorite is radioactive. I am not a chemist or anything, but would research it further even if it is considered safe for fish tanks ( can hardly believe it is considered safe for fish tanks after the things I have read about it). Hopefully someone else can elaborate further or prove me wrong.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not used that product myself, but a quick search on thorite, the main ingredient of said product revealed this

Thorite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article and several others I brought up claim that thorite is radioactive. I am not a chemist or anything, but would research it further even if it is considered safe for fish tanks ( can hardly believe it is considered safe for fish tanks after the things I have read about it). Hopefully someone else can elaborate further or prove me wrong.

Yes that part of it. Ive read that and it worried me when I st started using it with SW but never had any problems and has been in my reef tanks for a couple yrs now without issues

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
A Ph spike would cause problems. When concrete rock work is used in vivs, they have to be properly cured to prevent Ph spikes. I know we are talking about a different product here, just commenting on the Ph aspect.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This stuff does not actually contain Thorite.

It is a brand name. BASF Thorite

MSDS: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:3aINEjbdAjwJ:www.buildingsystems.basf.com/p02/USWeb-Internet/buildingsystems/en/function/conversions:/publish/content/microsites/buildingsystems/products/items/docs/tgp_msd.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShed-ES6as77yzMw0qnpaH9sHUx5p--Eshmw2nO_0Q0GTk9yRahfrPMJeyiI--DgrvdCaP52ektgk6BxFtuF8wtGu9_1d1q25reLHVb7pFpR053VMtDr7VkPEEpE6EoD5rlFk2T&sig=AHIEtbQ4lnLRraA3XaJKd8eQ9OWshDeoxg&pli=1

After reviewing this, I am not sure it is something I would use. However, if it is cured correctly, I assume it would be safe as it's designed for aquariums. Might be worth talking to the manufacturer...

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Aww, so no glow in the dark Varaderos?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Haha, Sorry Doug.

If you want your frogs to glow, you're going to have to go out there and steal some Uranium like the rest of us...

:cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's impossible to say for me. Maybe a chemist would be of more help.

Like I said, they are selling it as an aqua scape product and state it's been tried and tested. It's hard for me to believe that they would put a product like this out there if it was going to leach chemicals. Seems like they would have a lot of very unhappy reefers at their doors in short order.

Personally, if I was worried about it leaching, I don't think I would trust drylock to stop that process.

I would call them, see if it's really been used for an extended period of time. Maybe get some references...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts