Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a male american bullfrog with a mutation that gives him all black eyes. He is in captivity now and eats well and his trait also seems to be hereditary because some of the babies in the pond which I couldn't catch have black eyes too. So I am keeping him in a large sterilite container with a floating island and a whisper filter and I'm wondering if anybody else has seem this mutation. Also how much would a large breeding male of this brand new morph sell for?

·
Registered
203 Posts
No idea on the price and I'se never heard of one of these guys, but if were to find such a mutation in a wild animal that breeds readily in captivity, I would consider it my duty to the hobby to sell him out for temporary stud service , especially since it seems hereditary. I'm sure we would all love pics of this so we could share in what you're seeing

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Most states regulate bullfrogs as a game species and virtually all of them prohibit the sale of game species taken from the wild on a regular or recreational permit.
You may want to review the laws before counting the dollar signs....

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
If you simply do a quick good search you will see pictures of this. I imagine if there was a market for it people would have already exploited it. Doesn't seem that rare.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No one wants a frog that needs a huge tank, terrible loud call, eats alot and are everywhere often as a pests. Plus they are messy and need a lot of water.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i did a google search but there's only three pictures of these frogs two were by the same person who probably let it go ( read their post) and the other was wild.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I found a male american bullfrog with a mutation that gives him all black eyes. He is in captivity now and eats well and his trait also seems to be hereditary because some of the babies in the pond which I couldn't catch have black eyes too. So I am keeping him in a large sterilite container with a floating island and a whisper filter and I'm wondering if anybody else has seem this mutation. Also how much would a large breeding male of this brand new morph sell for?
Won't be able to answer until a photo is provided...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok do basically he's living in my small pond in my front yard with plenty of lady frogs haha hoping to get some tadpoles from them.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Btw I want to possibly sell him make sure this morph doesn't die off from the hobby and get it recognized by science.
Why do you think science would want to recognize it? It is highly unlikely to have any significant value in the hobby....

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the black eyed gargoyle geckos and albino bullfrogs impacted the reptile keeping hobby and it is a New gene and as far as I know we have pretty good understanding of the bullfrog genome and just having science acknowledge it exist would be cool. Also Im just keeping
keeping him he lives in frog heaven haha my pond is filtered fenced in and deep enough for him to hibernate in. Also by sell I was pretty much just going to give him away for the cost of shipping to the best home haha but he seemingly likes the pond he's in and I can monitor him easily

1 - 16 of 16 Posts