Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Azureus in my vivarium. One hangs out on the ground all the time. The other spends hours every day in this exact spot in the picture on the back wall. Is it normal for him to do that? Or could it be an indication that something in my set up is not ideal? Sorry for the poor quality photo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have another tank unfortunately. I don't notice aggression, but I suppose it's possible. So it's not something like humidity or lighting probably? I will continue to keep an eye on him. It's just strange that he's up there for hours every day. He seems to come down every night.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Based on this topic :

My guess is your frogs do not have enough 'hinding places' . It's hard to tell on the photo's but the setup looks like a wide open tank with a mostly small plants and one Cocohut.

Tinctorius live in darker areas with lots of leaflitter, branches and large leafed plants.

I think the frog is simply hiding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tiji. That's helpful. This is my current set-up. Would you recommend I change anything? Or just let plants continue to grow in and let him keep hiding in his favorite spot most of the day? The other frog doesn't seem to hide so much, but maybe there's some personality difference between frogs or between dominant and non-dominant frogs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Tiji. That's helpful. This is my current set-up. Would you recommend I change anything? Or just let plants continue to grow in and let him keep hiding in his favorite spot most of the day? The other frog doesn't seem to hide so much, but maybe there's some personality difference between frogs or between dominant and non-dominant frogs?

View attachment 297632
That setup looks really nice. It could maybe use a few more hiding areas though. I would add another 1-3 broad-leaf plants or some wood/seed pods near the center for extra cover, although it might not be needed.

Not trying to derail the thread, but is that a Phalaenopsis orchid planted near the front? Those are epiphytic plants by nature, and are entirely unsuited for soil. It would do far better mounted on your background, similarly to a bromeliad.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Looks quit ok. You migh want to add some seedpods of Cork branch large enough for them to hide it.

What lights are you using?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That setup looks really nice. It could maybe use a few more hiding areas though. I would add another 1-3 broad-leaf plants or some wood/seed pods near the center for extra cover, although it might not be needed.

Not trying to derail the thread, but is that a Phalaenopsis orchid planted near the front? Those are epiphytic plants by nature, and are entirely unsuited for soil. It would do far better mounted on your background, similarly to a bromeliad.
Good eye! It is an orchid that my wife picked up from somewhere, not sure what kind. The background is getting pretty overgrown and I'm running out of room back there as it's a pretty tall orchid. Could I put it on a piece of driftwood or a rock if I put it in there at the front?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks quit ok. You migh want to add some seedpods of Cork branch large enough for them to hide it.

What lights are you using?
It's a Josh's Frogs Green Gro LED Bulb 13 watt. It occurred to me that the light could be too bright, causing him to want to hide. Could that be it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good eye! It is an orchid that my wife picked up from somewhere, not sure what kind. The background is getting pretty overgrown and I'm running out of room back there as it's a pretty tall orchid. Could I put it on a piece of driftwood or a rock if I put it in there at the front?
You could mount it on driftwood. That would work well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts