Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I collected alot of oak and magnolia leaves at the end of the summer while they were still green and put them in plastic shopping bags. I just took a look at them today and noticed that there is a good amount of white fungus/mold.

Are the leaves still safe to use?

I do plan on boiling and then microwaving them before I use them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,322 Posts
The reason you got all of the mold etc is because you picked and stored it green. Most of the leaves used for leaf litter should be harvested already dry as then they last fairly well. Since you've already had a lot of fungal activity, the leaves are going to break down fairly quickly.

You can use them but don't expect much (and if you are allergic to mold you may regret it).

Ed
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top