Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some aquatic gravel substrate for my tanks and stuff and I want to use some for my dart frogs but the rocks have kind of a weird pet store kind of smell (that’s the only description I can think of lol). And the smell didn’t leave even after rinsing with RO water.
here’s a picture of it
Electric blue Rodent Terrestrial animal Font Tail

It’s going into a shallow water feature to cover some little crevices in rocks. Can I use this without it harming my frogs? I dont know why it would be harmful but I don’t want to kill my frogs so I’m trying to be very cautious. Thanks for the help in advance.

· Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
I'm wondering if it's safe or not. Like why does it have that smell? Rocks don't have that smell. It says "allows beneficial bacteria to grow". Dart frogs are very sensitive to chemicals so that's why I'm asking.
The only reason it says that is because of the surface area of the pebbles. Increased surface area with enough space for water movement = more room for beneficial bacteria to grow. I don't think anyone can tell you what that smell is or means, but you could try cleaning with bleach and/or vinegar, then rinsing very thoroughly, and see if the smell still lingers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts