Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have my frogs yet. I will be getting them when I feel most comfortable with my vivarium. Is having the top completely covered okay? I have ventilation in the front but will that be enough?
Table Rectangle Wood Gas Stovetop kettle

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Is that a heat lamp/bulb in the fixture?

Top ventilation is every bit as important as having the ventilation under the doors (perhaps actually even more important). All of my tanks have a strip at least 1" of screen on the top, with the rest of the top converted in glass.

(Cheap but not especially aesthetically pleasing approach: buy cheap picture frames at your local dollar store and remove the glass, sand the edges down and then use those to cover the stock screen)

·
Registered
407 Posts
No. That set up is not right. Remove everything on top. You need about a 2" strip of ventilation on top. Also, the light fixture may not be the best for dart frogs depending on the bulb. I like to isolate the light from the tank with a piece of glass. Hopefully it stops a little of the heat transfer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What's in the light fixture? A heat emitter, basking bulb or a light of some sort? Either way, I think that would have to go. As others have said, your approach to ventilation/circulation needs revisiting. Don't worry, they'll get you all squared away. At least you're getting all of these parameters under control PRIOR to adding livestock.....not many people tend to do that. lol

·
Registered
19,339 Posts
The amount of ventilation is going to vary from place to place as it depends on a wide variety of factors ranging from air flow and humidity in the room (a room with low airflow and high humidity will need wider ventilation areas than a cage in a drier room with more air flow over the tank) so blanket statements looking at the lid have little value as recommendations for how much ventilation is required. As for requiring lower down vents, people need to remember that warm air rises and colder air descends creating turn over if there is a sufficient temperature gradient potentially rendering low vents as unnecessary.
Mist or spray the cage and see how fast it evaporates remember your shooting for a humidity between 60% to 90% with upper 70s-low 80sF as the target range.

Some comments
Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that a heat lamp/bulb in the fixture?

Top ventilation is every bit as important as having the ventilation under the doors (perhaps actually even more important). All of my tanks have a strip at least 1" of screen on the top, with the rest of the top converted in glass.

(Cheap but not especially aesthetically pleasing approach: buy cheap picture frames at your local dollar store and remove the glass, sand the edges down and then use those to cover the stock screen)
Thank you for the picture frame tip! havent thought about this. I just bought a frame which i believe the glass is the perfect size 🤞

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Thank you for the picture frame tip! havent thought about this. I just bought a frame which i believe the glass is the perfect size 🤞
You're welcome. I always stand the edges down, over my utility sink, to remove some of the sharpness... Cut me once and I learn my lesson ... And thoroughly rinse the glass off afterwards so there's no glass shards that fall into the tank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're welcome. I always stand the edges down, over my utility sink, to remove some of the sharpness... Cut me once and I learn my lesson ... And thoroughly rinse the glass off afterwards so there's no glass shards that fall into the tank
What do you think if i silicone the edges to the top of the screen?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts