Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a plastic storage container sold in the baby products section. My idea is that the entire hut can be removed, the bottom opened, and viola, access to eggs. It is an eye-sore, but with time and some generous moss overlay, it will grow in very nice. Another benefit is that when the need to remove the hut arises(eggs, unforseen funk, etc), the roots of plants will not have penetrated, and therefore you can slip one(plastic hut) out, and one in without too much disruption. Here goes. Is it usable? If the edges are too sharp, can I use a melt effect with a lighter to smooth the edges?

Thanks!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a plastic storage container sold in the baby products section. My idea is that the entire hut can be removed, the bottom opened, and viola, access to eggs. It is an eye-sore, but with time and some generous moss overlay, it will grow in very nice. Another benefit is that when the need to remove the hut arises(eggs, unforseen funk, etc), the roots of plants will not have penetrated, and therefore you can slip one(plastic hut) out, and one in without too much disruption. Here goes. Is it usable? If the edges are too sharp, can I use a melt effect with a lighter to smooth the edges?

Thanks!

JBear
I dont see why it wouldnt be ok but its always better to melt !

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I used a container similar to that. The first try, I cut it, but I couldn't cut the hole round. The second try, I used a soldering iron to burn a small round hole in it (this was for my tincs who need a little extra privacy). Then I sanded down any rough edges and covered the outside with clay. I think it looks pretty cool but the clay gets messy when I check it. Next one I think I'll cover it in silicone and roll it in cocofiber.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Exposing plastics to heat causes them to break down faster and release toxins. If you must use them in the viv, try to get ones that say BPA-free (although I was told recently that there are other synthetic estrogens besides BPA in plastic---still checking on that). Always wash new plastics with soap and water before using to wash off toxins that remain after the manufacturing process.
I especially avoid PVC in vivs b/c it is not good for the frogs (referenced from Poison frogs: Biology, Species and Captive Husbandry).

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't see a problem with it, if anything smooth the cut edges enough to prevent any sharp spikes, they should be fine if it's relatively clear cut.

I especially avoid PVC in vivs b/c it is not good for the frogs (referenced from Poison frogs: Biology, Species and Captive Husbandry).
Not to get side-tracked, but can you elaborate on this a bit? I don't have the book so I can't look in it, but I never imagined a problem with PVC. People use PVC all the time in reefs and I've used it with darts before, so if you have any information that I'm missing I would be interested to hear it.
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I don't see a problem with it, if anything smooth the cut edges enough to prevent any sharp spikes, they should be fine if it's relatively clear cut.

Not to get side-tracked, but can you elaborate on this a bit? I don't have the book so I can't look in it, but I never imagined a problem with PVC. People use PVC all the time in reefs and I've used it with darts before, so if you have any information that I'm missing I would be interested to hear it.
Thanks,
Bryan
PVC may or may not cause visible issues linked to its use through our casual observation in frog or fish tanks, but it is toxic stuff. The subtle, unseen issues involving cellular damage are what is concerning. It's not a good thing that they use it in our homes for our water supply and in shower curtains. Here's a basic link. I'm sure you could Google some more results that point to studies on it.

PVC: The Most Toxic Plastic | Healthy Child Healthy World

1 - 7 of 7 Posts