Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 8 years old, so he's not a baby or a toddler and understands things for the most part. He's reasonable and cares deeply for animals. However, I know children are very curious. I am worried that at some point maybe he will think "nothing bad will happen" or "I will be very careful" and get into my vivarium to mist it for me or to look more closely at the frogs. I'm worried a frog could jump out and he might panic. Does the Exo-terra 18x18x24 have any way that I could "childproof" it?

In the event that I cannot childproof it, I was thinking of setting an empty fruit fly culture container nearby and telling hi "I really don't want for you to open this when there are no adults around, but if you do and a frog gets out I want you to cover the frog with this cup and then shut the doors of the vivarium, and then come and find an adult to help. This is not permission to get into the vivarium without an adult present but I know that sometimes curiosity is really hard to handle and accidents can happen."

I think if I go over safety with him over and over and tell him about how to take care of amphibians that he will listen BUT I want to be as careful and cautious as I can possibly be. He's a good boy and he cares a lot about animals so I really don't think he would do it and would be cautious and listen. I just know I was a child once too and I've touched things that I wasn't supposed to (I broke my mom's favorite snow globe once that I wanted to touch because she loved it so much and since she loved it so much it just made me feel really good to touch it and be close to it, for example).

I love our amphibians so much and I know he does too, I just know kids will be kids sometimes and that bad things can happen.

How do you guys handle children being in the house with your frogs? Just lots of discussion about safety and the wellbeing of the animals? I would HATE to try and have these delicate creatures with a toddler around! LOL Oh I can't imagine the stress. I'm 99% sure my son won't do anything but I want to be as careful as possible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exo terra sells locks for their terrariums and you can get them off Amazon. Dart frogs are really fragile and if you think there’s a chance I wouldn’t risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't even notice the tiny holes in the handles for the exoterra padlock to go through! I am purchasing one right this second, I appreciate your help!

·
Administrator
4,840 Posts
I don't think you should lock the doors if you put a child in it.... oh, I misread the post. Kidding, just a joke. ;)

Anyway, you know your own child, and I wouldn't worry about this except for toddlers, but -- there is a real safety risk involved if the viv gets tipped over (by climbing on it, leaning on it, hanging on the doors, whatever). Catastrophic stuff, and I'm not worried about the frogs here. Heavy things, especially ones that turn into a thousand knives when they get tipped over, kill a handful of kids each year in the US.

It is likely challenging to secure an ExoTerra to the wall in the way that parents need to secure dressers and TVs around toddlers, and you probably don't even need to be concerned about this with your child, but we all might just give a little thought to falling hazards and make sure we've taken any precautions necessary. :)

Just to warn you, boys can be pretty sketchy sometimes. I grew up in a time when firearm safety apparently wasn't as much of a thing so people didn't lock their ammo away, and in middle school a friend and I managed to discharge a .22 shell (we were disassembling those and 12g shells to get the powder out for homemade fireworks) into his kitchen wall. Keep your eyes open. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think you should lock the doors if you put a child in it.... oh, I misread the post. Kidding, just a joke. ;)

Anyway, you know your own child, and I wouldn't worry about this except for toddlers, but -- there is a real safety risk involved if the viv gets tipped over (by climbing on it, leaning on it, hanging on the doors, whatever). Catastrophic stuff, and I'm not worried about the frogs here. Heavy things, especially ones that turn into a thousand knives when they get tipped over, kill a handful of kids each year in the US.

It is likely challenging to secure an ExoTerra to the wall in the way that parents need to secure dressers and TVs around toddlers, and you probably don't even need to be concerned about this with your child, but we all might just give a little thought to falling hazards and make sure we've taken any precautions necessary. :)

Just to warn you, boys can be pretty sketchy sometimes. I grew up in a time when firearm safety apparently wasn't as much of a thing so people didn't lock their ammo away, and in middle school a friend and I managed to discharge a .22 shell (we were disassembling those and 12g shells to get the powder out for homemade fireworks) into his kitchen wall. Keep your eyes open. ;)
LOL You're pretty funny.

You make a good point of making sure it can't be knocked over. Fortunately the viv is in an area of the room with other items around it in such a way that it would be very difficult to accidently knock it over or pull it down. If I had a toddler still though, well...NOTHING is out of the way enough to keep it safe from toddler hands hahaha.

I do trust my son and I know he would never have bad intentions, I just want to make sure the frogs are protected from child curiosity.

Thank you for the advice =)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
boys can be pretty sketchy sometimes
+1, +2, +3, ..., ad infinitum

Heavy things, especially ones that turn into a thousand knives when they get tipped over, kill a handful of kids each year in the US.
Excellent observation. As do electrocution, house fires, ingestion of foreign objects, sharp sticks to the brain, etc etc. So many ways!!!

Besides overt intentions, for which I'm glad countermeasures have been discussed, and accidents from general rowdiness, which have also been touched on, don't forget:

outcomes = curiosity x energy level x inability to anticipate negative consequences

The function scales exponentially with group size. A five-pack of boys could destroy a small town. Or kill one of their own. Or invent a cure for world hunger. A five-pack of girls would probably be less likely to do the first 2, and more likely to do the last one.

Boys amuse but also scare me. I should know, having been one. Moms, having been girls, may not really grasp the totality of their capacity for havoc.

Anyway - keep on having fun, and also, good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1, +2, +3, ..., ad infinitum

Excellent observation. As do electrocution, house fires, ingestion of foreign objects, sharp sticks to the brain, etc etc. So many ways!!!

Besides overt intentions, for which I'm glad countermeasures have been discussed, and accidents from general rowdiness, which have also been touched on, don't forget:

outcomes = curiosity x energy level x inability to anticipate negative consequences

The function scales exponentially with group size. A five-pack of boys could destroy a small town. Or kill one of their own. Or invent a cure for world hunger. A five-pack of girls would probably be less likely to do the first 2, and more likely to do the last one.

Boys amuse but also scare me. I should know, having been one. Moms, having been girls, may not really grasp the totality of their capacity for havoc.

Anyway - keep on having fun, and also, good luck!
Hahahahaha!!! Being a boy mom is definitely...interesting! LOL I will be extra careful with him and continue to educate him about frogs and how to make sure that he doesn't accidentally harm them. I appreciate all of the help I've been getting and I hope that vivarium lock gets here soon!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Education....

My son is 8 years old and knows quite well not to open my frog tanks. He has a Crested Gecko in his own tank that he helps look after, and he knows what happens when the door is left open. It took about 5 days to find his Gecko. That was an eye opener for him.

Even my 2 year old daughter is well versed, because I show her the tanks and let her interact, albeit with some limitations. She knows not to touch and not to open.

Spend the time to engage them, and I think you won't have as many issues. Just my opinion anyway!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Education....

My son is 8 years old and knows quite well not to open my frog tanks. He has a Crested Gecko in his own tank that he helps look after, and he knows what happens when the door is left open. It took about 5 days to find his Gecko. That was an eye opener for him.

Even my 2 year old daughter is well versed, because I show her the tanks and let her interact, albeit with some limitations. She knows not to touch and not to open.

Spend the time to engage them, and I think you won't have as many issues. Just my opinion anyway!
Oh my, that must have been a really stressful 5 days!

My kiddo loves to help mist and he loves watching our bullfrog tadpoles develop. He's good but as all the guys are stating, he's still a little boy and sometimes little boys get into trouble! I will continue to educate because it is very important he understand that these little critters lives are entirely in our hands and so we must do our best to respect and protect them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yeah, it's a combination of education and inherent temperament (most kids are good, but there are some bad seeds out there too), but also experience. We've all had pets/captives "escape", die, etc. Also, most of us have had some sketchy friends who in hindsight were Bad Company. Man, oh man. Ha ha. Phew.

As long as the experience doesn't kill or mutilate the kid or anyone else, or result in extreme property damage - hey, good enough. Mere pain is transitory, and exceptionally educational. A black eye here, a jammed finger there, it's all part of it.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Nepx, I commend you for being objective and precautionary. And realistic about Curiosity.

I have had broken herps presented to me that have clearly been dropped, pulled from drains or from under the fridge, etc, and adamantly was suggest of cause fought off - and Im just talking about the adults!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts