Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a habit to add Salvia officinalis (Sage) oil to my home’s humidifier. Would anyone know if the gas released from Salvia officinalis would have harmful impact to my dart frogs? Thanks!

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
I dont think there are studies or enough empirical evidence however logic will inform that its wholly novel for tiny amphibians to inhale olfactory aesthetics.

I dont think humans actually take the time to consider the sensory impacts of things we happily apply to our own senses far more dulled by desensitation and morphology. We are giants choosing to keep tiny, permeable living animals in glass boxes for our own wants.

We owe them our utmost courtesy and forethought.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
olfactory aesthetics correction. Its still underlining it like its not a word. Down with auto check features! My lower case i's are rebellion against the machine! Heha

Reactions: hek0

·
Registered
224 Posts
There is not that much general living space air flowing into most frog tanks to cause an issue unless you are putting something really nasty into the air. I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Why would you want to take a chance though? We dont really know details, intensity, proximity, etc. And even then we arent frogs. Accummulatively over days, weeks, months, I guess it simply rubs me the wrong way. I think if given the opportunity, if aromatic oils suffused vapor were detected by the frogs in a native situ; which it would never be - kind of my point - the frogs would simply relocate themselves. But they dont have the option.

I try to be conscious of not working from an ideological platforms, but, like everyone, an ideology will reveal itself. A strong one I concede, is that having animals in the household means a willing adjustment of home activities to a more inconvenient setting. The prudent side to err line. Not arguing just communicating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts