Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
6,492 Posts
I don't find any reference to availability of vinyl window screen -- presumably fiberglass is what is meant. Aside from that, vinyl wouldn't be a very safe choice for animal contact, as it is a relatively toxic material.

Polypropylene, on the other hand, is generally considered the safest plastic in common use (far more safe than, for example, the styrene that ExoTerra frames are made of).

Reactions: Harpspiel

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't find any reference to availability of vinyl window screen -- presumably fiberglass is what is meant. Aside from that, vinyl wouldn't be a very safe choice for animal contact, as it is a relatively toxic material.

Polypropylene, on the other hand, is generally considered the safest plastic in common use (far more safe than, for example, the styrene that ExoTerra frames are made of).
It is actually fiberglass. We have a habit of calling it vinyl here for some odd reason though.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I've used weed block fabric, and plant roots do eventually find their way through it. It's better at keeping small particles out of your drainage layer than fiberglass window screen. However, I switched to window screen anyway, and double the layers. Weed block fabric is very hydrophobic at first, but doesn't remain that way indefinitely. They're both good options, though I have come to prefer window screen, and use the finest mesh I can find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just know it's not great to use typical weed barrier that has plastic in it. I'm trying to go buy materials today so a quick response would be much much appreciated.
Being using that since my first viv in 2010 and never got a complaint. Those are widely used when growing vegetables so i imagine them to be food graded and not release any chemicals as those are litterally made for growing your tomatoes and zucchini in immediate proximity and water them too...so no worries.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I think there is nothing wrong with using weed block. However, I find it to be annoying to work with and it has hydrophobic tendencies at first. Window screen suits my needs better and any particles small enough to get through it also seem to mix with the water that goes out my drainage bulkheads. Maybe after a long enough period of time (several years?), I end up with a layer of small particle scum in the bottom of my drainage layer, but I haven't seen it yet. Anyway, YMMV. Try them both and see which you prefer :)

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts