Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I moved the frog to a quarantine tank so I can look after it better and move it out of the wet environment. It has food and shelter and a branch but they look swollen

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Moving around is good.

Do you actually see him catch and eat? Thats very important.

Get some rapashy vit A plus and calcium plus.

Baby frogs develop deficiencies quickly. Not to give you more to worry about just a reminder that its important.

You could connect with an arav vet in your area. I am always a little conflicted though balancing risk benefit of transfer and travel with corrective husbandry that is working.

Youre doing great. You are a fine person. Shake that off.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Ok so i just saw that you moved him.
He does look a little swollen.
His carriage is good. Note that he eat and catches the flies without struggle.

Cut or pinch out patch of paper towel w stool and save in fridge in closed zip lock. Save all of them unless retrieving causes too much disturbance in the set up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Moving around is good.

Do you actually see him catch and eat? Thats very important.

Get some rapashy vit A plus and calcium plus.

Baby frogs develop deficiencies quickly. Not to give you more to worry about just a reminder that its important.

You could connect with an arav vet in your area. I am always a little conflicted though balancing risk benefit of transfer and travel with corrective husbandry that is working.

Youre doing great. You are a fine person. Shake that off.
I'm a high risk for COVID and my area is seeing a large spike in cases, so I can't really do a vet, save for maybe a telecom appointment.

Yes, I have seen them catch and eat flies. They're still a bit timid so they don't pig out (not even the healthy frogs do currently)

I have been using a new amphibian specific vitamin for them

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Sometimes the direction to go is helpfully made plainer by circumstances.

I think you really are doing great but I keep getting confused that we are talking about a singular frog, correct?

When discussing our charges, problems, details, etc it's very important that those reading know whether a group is simultaneously involved - as that could be very relevant.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
"They" is a single specimen, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
You can put some of the leaf litter in there. Its good to have easy security, you may have just saying.
Its really good that he's eating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You can put some of the leaf litter in there. Its good to have easy security, you may have just saying.
Its really good that he's eating.
I just wanted to say thank you again for all the help. Sick frog is sleeping right now, probably resting better than she did in the bigger tank. I have added a coconut hut and some leaf litter to her temp housing to help her feel more secure but I think her sleeping is a good sign that she's going to recover

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Its Very important that you get a retinol A supplement for your frog. I have had to grind my own to fulfill this need for the past 17 years until i found a supplement i could trust that did it better, and thats Rapashy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hopefully your little sick frog is still doing well!
Do you still have others in the original tank? I saw you said you removed the sphagnum moss and added more leaf litter. I've had success with and read that the more hiding places you give them, the braver they will become. Some frogs are just a bit shy and definitely appreciate the visual barrier that some good, big leaves supply. I've seen some tinctorius individuals do some serious climbing, so I'm sure they would appreciate some branches. I would look into getting some scraggly driftwood as it will help fill out the empty space that you have. You could always try to mount some broms on to it as well. Broad leafed plants like Philodendrons and Pothos will also help keep your humidity up and give the frogs places to climb on/hide as well as help fill out some of the tank. Not to mention, you can get some good types of these plants for relatively cheap.
Whenever you're feeding them, you can add a slice of banana to the tank to encourage the flies to stay in one spot, making it easier to keep an eye on how much they're actually eating. That's what I've done for froglets before and its very effective.
Hopefully everything works out and please keep us updated on your little one!

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
Rep-Cal Herptivite with beta carotine
That is not an amphibian specific vitamin (also, I hope you're mixing it with plain calcium as required). The Vitamin A in that product is likely not usable by amphibians.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update: I gave the frog a warm bath in a very thin layer of water that she could stand in, as well as massaging her, just to make sure she wasn't constipated. She's stopped the gaping behavior for now and seems less bloated even though she didn't defecate. I still have her in quarantine and if she's not showing signs of sickness in the next two days I will re-add her to the tank..

I was confused about the vitamin because it says its for reptiles and amphibians on the can. I have ordered Rapashy to come in, and I am adding calcium to their meals.

For the advice on plants, thanks much! I'm definitely going to be doing some things when I rebuild the vivarium this weekend

·
Registered
48 Posts
Frogs shed their skin.
I highly suspect the opening and closing of mouth is just normal shedding behavior.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Yes frogs shed. However the circumstances present and experiances similiar (small frogs being improperly contained in "a little water" during transport) open into a risk potentiality that warranted immediate change from the clearly over saturated env.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Great job Roxxy. Still not out of danger, if their is water in the lungs there can be a predisposition to infection. RI inf in frogs are discreet. Gaping and rapid 'mouthing' as if swallowing. Not like the signature gaping and odd posture while breaking corneum at the rim of the mouth.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Would they be doing this for a while? It has been about five days of this behavior
No, it's typically started and over with relatively quickly. I've never timed from start to finish, but I've often observed the frogs doing so at the time of my lights turning on and then seeing them hopping around the next time I walk by around lunch time.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts