Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I joined very recently and have yet to post anything, but tonight I had a bit of a mishap and I'm hoping it's not going to be anything major.

I have two American Green Tree Frogs (Hyla Cinerea) and tonight the larger of the two, while in their feeding container, ehh... pooed. A cricket then decided that was a great place to take refuge, and the same frog then ate that cricket, along with his poo, he tried not to eat it, but I definitely couldn't get to him fast enough to help, and he ended up swallowing it as far as I know.

If he did swallow it, would it make him sick? What should I watch for?:confused:

Thanks for any help!

~JJ

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sick to his stomach maybe! Seriously though, any pathogens that may be in his poo, is already in him. He should be fine.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It is not likely to cause any issues. A more common problem is long term exposure due to crickets feeding on the feces leading to elevated parasite loads, but a single incident like this should not be cause for concern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew- that's a huge relief. We buy crickets in small batches and feed them outside of their cage, so that's the only way a cricket would ever be exposed to frog poo. lol. Thanks a ton!

~Jessii

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.