Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 11 tadpoles (Surninam Cobalt Tinc) from three clutches combined that first started hatching on Sept 1. Most of them are around the same size, I measured several tonight. They range about 1" - 1-3/8" from head to tail and their head is average 7/16". I measured them by laying the measuring tape under their cups while they held still for me. 8) Yes, I have no social life, I have well behaved animals instead.

Anyway....What I want to know is:

1) Is that about on target for their species or is it smaller or larger?

2) How soon are they going to pop their back legs, I'm getting impatient :oops: Does it depend on thier size or on the amount of time, the food, what? I could give you the entire specifics of how I'm raising them including what I doctor the water with and what temp I keep the aquarium I'm floating their cups in, feed them, etc... but I won't bore you with specifics unless you really want me to.

3) If this is three different clutches, which it is (laid 5, 5, 7 days apart) and hatching approx 23-26 days later, why are they all pretty much the same size? Shouldn't the oldest ones be the biggest ones, and so on. I meant to write the hatch date on their cups but I didn't know I was going to get this engrossed about the life of a tadpole honestly.

I have two tadpoles from another clutch that are much smaller and they were laid 9 days behind the last clutch, this was a clutch of 5 and only two made it (one went bad while developing). Surprisingly the same two that were allowed to hatch IN water vs. in the dish. But it seems that they are not growing as fast as the other 11 were, they grew overnight it seems.

And finally, how long do you let your frogs breed (or how many clutches) before you give them a break? I'm keeping track on a calendar when they lay their clutches and it's getting farther apart in days when they are laying them(in days the pattern has been 5, 5, 7, 9, 11, going on 14 tomorrow). Does that mean I need to give them a "season" off? The last thing I want to do is wear them out. They are far too precious to me and no amount of babies they make are worth shortening their lives over.

And someone PLEASE tell me I'm not the only person who's ever thought of letting the egg hatch directly in water instead of transfering after the fact to reduce the stress on the tadpole (and on the human to catch it in time to 'save' it).....I have enough self esteem to know I'm intelligent, but intelligent enough to know I'm not experienced enough in this hobby YET, :wink: to be the only person who's thought of this. I just want to know anyone else's experience good or bad with it.

Thanks for the help in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I'll wait for them to sprout legs and I'll let you all know the answer... :roll:

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Suriname colbalts don't pop back legs, they grow them in. I don't keep detailed records so times are approximate. It takes about a month to a month and a half for them to start growing back legs. They start out really small and get bigger over time. Once they are larger, you'll start seeing faint yellow stripes over the eyes goind down their back. It will get more pronounced as well as the front nubs where the legs pop out will get bigger. This takes about a week or 2. Once the front legs pop it can take anywhere from a week to 3 for them to climb out of the water. You can tell that they are ready to come out when they get pretty much full color and start to absorb their tail, but they do that in like 2-3 days once they start. Even if they are out of the water, mine have been very adept at swimming. I put them in the angled shoebox and when I tried to get them out of the "dry" area they quickly ran back into the water and swam with thier siblings making it a little tough to separate the ones ready to move to another container. Total time for mine was....hatched in mid June/early July , the last one out of the water Sept 15. I have 12 tads in the water and 5 more ready to hatch in a few days to a week.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about this beautiful tinc morph.

-Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts