Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guessing that it isn't possible to remove the doors from an ExoTerra (short of using a hammer) but I thought I would toss it out there and see if anyone had any ideas. I have torn it apart as much as I dare and I am thinking the doors must have been added before the top frame is siliconed in place. I just wanted them off while I am working on the tank so they don't get damaged. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
One of my 12x12x18s had doors that you could lift up on and they would come out...but it was the only one that did that. Don't know if it was a defect, but have you tried pulling up, angling out, then pulling down?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've had one that the top plastic rim came loose and the doors easily come off after that. See if you can break the top rim loose without too much hassle. Mine seemed to come off easy. You can silicone it back into place when your ready.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried tugging and twisting as much as I dare. It sounds like it is only once in a while that one is loose enough to take them out?

·
Registered
446 Posts
My top rim is loose on my 18x18x24 as well.. pop my doors out for cleaning with ease.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've got a 36X18X36 exoterra that I've removed the doors from to facilitate building it out.

Used an OLFA knife (snap off blade knife) to loosen the top frame along the sides and then pulled up the plastic frame up which allowed the hinge pins to come loose.

You might be able to do it with a single edge razor blade, but the longer blade of a snap knife makes it easier and prolly a bit safer as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a 36X18X36 exoterra that I've removed the doors from to facilitate building it out.

Used an OLFA knife (snap off blade knife) to loosen the top frame along the sides and then pulled up the plastic frame up which allowed the hinge pins to come loose.

You might be able to do it with a single edge razor blade, but the longer blade of a snap knife makes it easier and prolly a bit safer as well.
Thanks for the tip. I may get brave and try it tomorrow. The rim on mine is definitely not loose enough to move without some more manipulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts