Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a powerhead under my false bottom to keep the water from becoming stagnent the water level has to be pretty close to the substrate do you think it will become a problem?Is it even njecesary?

·
Registered
306 Posts
really not necessary as long as you have plants, java moss, leaves, etc, in the water. a quick water change once a week or 2 will keep it fresh.

i had a powerhead circulating on one of my old tanks and never had any trouble with it. so really up to you if you want the hassle or not. not much hassle though.

edit> you could actually just add an airstone and it will do a good job of turning the water and keeping that "film" off the top. i do this in my tad tank.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i second that airstone comment; every tank i've used them in have done very well and they never get that film for more than a day or so (usually after some plant material has fallen in a decayed a bit.)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no sorry what i meant is its circulating under the false bottom no water is exposed except the little area where th pump is caged in

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you haven't left any spot for a water feature like apond or something, I would say you don't need the powerhead. The point of your false bottom is just for drainage. All you need to do is siphon the water out once the level gets up too high from misting and what not. An airstone wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a little bit of aeration for the soil. But yeah, if you only have the false bottom for drainage, don't worry too much about the powerhead. (also, what I have done with powerheads is trimmed off the little part that is supposed to fit in the uplift tube so it sits lower in the water)

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts