Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking for a water source to not cause hard water stains in my viv. I have been using spring water previously, but even though there's no chlorine, there is still hard minerals in it.

I know about RO water, but im not really looking to invest in a system right now. I have found that many places sell De-Ionized water, for car batteries and irons / steamers etc. Would this be suitable for dart frog misters? Or does this deionizing process not produce as pure water as distilled water for example?

Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
RO is essential equivalent to distilled water. Instead of boiling water and then condensing it, RO uses a membrane to exclude solutes in the water by particle size. Kind of like a strainer. DI is usually the 2nd step in making RO/DI water for laboratory and marine aquarium use where the RO water is passed through an ionic column to capture any remaining charged chemicals/elements that weren't occluded by the membrane. This should provide water of neutral pH and limited electric conductivity. It's essentially pure water. DI water without RO is rare, at least to my knowledge. Hope that helps.

You should be able to find RO/DI water by the gallon at most grocery stores.

·
Administrator
6,217 Posts
Since you're in the UK, there might be some terminology differences -- you might use the term 'deionized water' to denote any water with all the dissolved solids removed by whatever method. It would make some sense, since RO water is in fact water with (much of) its ionic content removed. We use that sort of naming here in the US -- we sometimes call water purified by reverse osmosis 'distilled water' on labeling. But when water types are named according to the method used to produce them, then you've got what @John J M described.

FWIW, I produce my own RO/DI water and use in for all my herps, including dart frogs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi,
I am looking for a water source to not cause hard water stains in my viv. I have been using spring water previously, but even though there's no chlorine, there is still hard minerals in it.

I know about RO water, but im not really looking to invest in a system right now. I have found that many places sell De-Ionized water, for car batteries and irons / steamers etc. Would this be suitable for dart frog misters? Or does this deionizing process not produce as pure water as distilled water for example?

Thanks for any help!!
I don't believe de-ionised water in the UK is generally safe to use for amphibians or plants as it often has unusual chemical constituents due to it being sold for clothes irons and cars. You can buy 25L bottles of distilled water on amazon with free delivery and often your local aquatics stores will be able to sell you reverse osmosis water fairly cheaply but in the long run it's much more cost effective to buy a cheap water distiller.
I have one almost identical to this that I've been using for a couple of years now and it works far better and has been more reliable than I expected. I had been living in an area with incredibly mineral rich water and it was absolutely necessary in order to use a mistking or keep certain types of plant.
water distiller

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good to know, I have a RO\DI that I use for my aquariums, so I can just use that to make water for a mister.
Absolutely. You probably also have a TDS meter on your system that will tell you when you need to replace either your resin or flush your RO membrane. And it's also important to either run 2 carbon cartridges on your system just because chlorine in your tap water can ruin your membrane which costs a lot more than a carbon cartridge. Most systems let you remove water from the prefilter to make sure it's still removing chlorine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Absolutely. You probably also have a TDS meter on your system that will tell you when you need to replace either your resin or flush your RO membrane. And it's also important to either run 2 carbon cartridges on your system just because chlorine in your tap water can ruin your membrane which costs a lot more than a carbon cartridge. Most systems let you remove water from the prefilter to make sure it's still removing chlorine.
Im on a well so I don’t worry about chlorine, I just have super hard water (300 - 500 tds) with fluctuating amounts of nitrates depending on the time of the year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I had a look at those water distillers, semi expensive but viable option. But I then contacted the local aquarium shop, and they sell RO water at £3 for 25L... seems very cheap to me (correct me if that's pretty standard lol) so I think I will take that route!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im on a well so I don’t worry about chlorine, I just have super hard water (300 - 500 tds) with fluctuating amounts of nitrates depending on the time of the year.
In that case a good particulate filter along with frequent RO membrane flushes should help with the longevity of you RO membrane. I know that you can get particulate filters in several micron sizes. That would probably be better in your application since you probably don't need a carbon block as much as the rest of us on city water. But it will help with organics removal and so it might be better for the carbon to be after the RO membrane rather than before it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts