Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing that is simply just bugging the crap out of me in this hobby is how to measure temp and humidity. Hell my Apex controller tells me just about everything about my reef and even has a nifty iPhone app. However this controller is slowly getting on my last nerve with it's bugginess. So I was looking into the GHL pro flux that way I can monitor everything all at once.

So here are my two questions.

How does everyone keep track of their humidity and temperature in there tanks?

and

Who is running what controller and how is it working out ?

-Byron

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is right up my alley! I'm a controls systems engineer by day...I have been logging Temperature and CO2 through a small PLC and Touch Screen. I'm sure this would be overkill for most people but for under 500 bucks I can monitor more than one cage at a very good accuracy. I can also control the misting, lights, anything that needs controlling. If your willing to spend the money I would love to help you come up with something...

I'm sure others will have inputs for more affordable ways of monitoring. I'm sure a humidity switch hooked to your mister would be just as effective.

Robbie

Attachments

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
My system is simple. I have a digital thermometer in my frogroom that tells me the ambient temperature. I add three degrees Farenheit to determine the internal temperatures of my tanks.

For humidity, if the ground is at least a little moist then I'm in the 70 percent range, if my plants are a little moist I'm in the 80 percent range, and if there's condensation on my glass I'm in the 90+ range.

I'm all about low-tech ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is right up my alley! I'm a controls systems engineer by day...I have been logging Temperature and CO2 through a small PLC and Touch Screen. I'm sure this would be overkill for most people but for under 500 bucks I can monitor more than one cage at a very good accuracy. I can also control the misting, lights, anything that needs controlling. If your willing to spend the money I would love to help you come up with something...

I'm sure others will have inputs for more affordable ways of monitoring. I'm sure a humidity switch hooked to your mister would be just as effective.

Robbie
That is quite impressive. The humidity switch is something I was looking into.

I was looking into getting a reef angel because it was open source.

Home - Reef Angel Controller

Then I was going to find a way to hook a humidity switch into it and go from there. But when I started reading about the Proflux

System

That seemed like the perfect package. I just add a module and I can monitor as many systems as I wanted.

I use to be all gung ho about building my own stuff but now i just don't have the time do spend tinkering.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My system is simple. I have a digital thermometer in my frogroom that tells me the ambient temperature. I add three degrees Farenheit to determine the internal temperatures of my tanks.

For humidity, if the ground is at least a little moist then I'm in the 70 percent range, if my plants are a little moist I'm in the 80 percent range, and if there's condensation on my glass I'm in the 90+ range.

I'm all about low-tech ;)

When I went over to Md_frogger's house this past weekend I was in utter shock that he was keeping pumilio with out some sort of super computer monitoring system. Coming from the reefing world you kind of expect some sort of advanced warning system for the more delicate species of frogs. But nooooo
He had tons (OK, it was more like 5) of some of the nicest tanks I have seen with perfectly healthy calling pumilio.

I would love to do it low tech and save the money but I think my wife would get sick of me calling from work every 20 minutes to check on the frogs.

"Hello honey, how are you doing today? Yeah yeah I really don't care, Can you just please put BRI BRI on the phone? and after that I want to talk to blue jeans and BASTI"

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
When I went over to Md_frogger's house this past weekend I was in utter shock that he was keeping pumilio with out some sort of super computer monitoring system. Coming from the reefing world you kind of expect some sort of advanced warning system for the more delicate species of frogs. But nooooo
He had tons (OK, it was more like 5) of some of the nicest tanks I have seen with perfectly healthy calling pumilio.

I would love to do it low tech and save the money but I think my wife would get sick of me calling from work every 20 minutes to check on the frogs.

"Hello honey, how are you doing today? Yeah yeah I really don't care, Can you just please put BRI BRI on the phone? and after that I want to talk to blue jeans and BASTI"
New tanks are more delicate than tanks that have been running for some time. If it's a new tank you need to pay more attention to it (although not _that_ much attention to it), but I've gone out of town for two weeks, I threw some orange slices in my tanks to keep my flies going, double checked the microfauna supply in the tanks and took off without worrying about anything. Came home to find all of my tanks still fogged up in the early morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is quite impressive. The humidity switch is something I was looking into.

I was looking into getting a reef angel because it was open source.

Home - Reef Angel Controller

Then I was going to find a way to hook a humidity switch into it and go from there. But when I started reading about the Proflux

System

That seemed like the perfect package. I just add a module and I can monitor as many systems as I wanted.

I use to be all gung ho about building my own stuff but now i just don't have the time do spend tinkering.
No doubt those systems are nice but I would guess it is very expensive. I know my local greenhouse store has these controllers similar to that called CAP basically you plug in your humidifier and plug in your lights and turn knobs till you get what you want...this system alone is over a grand!

I have built many systems for high humidity sweet potato houses and humidity is a difficult factor to measure... I love hearing what other people are doing though it is a real science. I've taken several classes on Psychrometrics and there is more too it then my brain can handle!

The true masters like MD_Frogger have had so much practice and experience but I spend too much time away from home and worry way to much to not have some sort of controls. Can't trust my roomate to spray either! (All he does is kill plants somehow)

Robbie

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can understand your paranoia coming from a reefing background, but one thing to remember is frogs are much more forgiving. Most of these frogs come from tropical climates, but those areas can still have 10degree F shifts in temp over just a few hours. Unless your already at or above 80, even a rapid 3 degree F rise in temperature might make your frogs a uncomfortable, but it's not going to cause the havoc it would in a reef where half your corals are going to bleach with that big of a temp swing.

I understand and appreciate your concern for your frogs, it means your a good keeper, but personally, I think your trying to hard. I'm switching from reefs to frogs because of how much easier and more forgiving they are.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was planning on buying a new controller for the reef side of things. The fact that I can run the controller to the frog side is just a huge added bonus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts