Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can find a 10% orajel mouth gel for mouth ulcers and denture pain on amazon (shipped from the US), but not 20%. I am not sure if that is strong enough. From Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia I read "Products containing either 7.5% or 20% benzocaine have been shown to be effective in the euthanasia of amphibians" but the conjugation of the verbs in English is not clear for me and I do not understand without any uncertainty if this translates to "is always effective" or "is usually effective". This is not a risk I want to take.
I have been given 96% ethanol alcool by my vetenerian. A 5% bath and then 90% bath sounds like a long process for the froglet to go through. The benzocaine seems kinder to me, but I am not sure. Advice is kindly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
In English, that use of 'either' is inclusive -- that is, 7.5% works, and 20% works. I've only used 20%, but I checked the linked article, and there Ed is stating that 7.5% is effective. Based on that article, I would have no worries about using 7.5%.

Do heed the instructions to apply the oragel to the belly -- this is very important.

I've not used the alcohol method, but it seems as if the process is to get the animal extremely intoxicated, then overdose it. That does not sound like a stressful experience to me, and so I personally wouldn't hesitate to use that method, especially if the animal is currently in some distress and the oragel is a few days away.

If things go badly during the procedure, you can use extreme physical trauma as a secondary method, but that might be difficult for some people to do. I personally feel better simply knowing that I have another option that I can use if the primary method fails (though I don't think either the alcohol or oragel will fail).

Reactions: amolerane

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Reactions: amolerane
1 - 4 of 4 Posts