Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im playing with clay mixed with coco fiber and wanted to know if I could add a little iron oxide to tint the bentonite clay?

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Yeah, if you go through Matt's recipe, the colored iron oxides are in the ingredients, only a small amount (check the amounts in the recipe), I used it plenty of times

·
Registered
196 Posts
Depending on the amount of clay that you want to tint, iron oxide can get pricey. If by chance you are after a red tint I would recommend Redart clay.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If you use micronized zinc oxide (2.5 microns or smaller particulate size), be sure it is fully saturated and worked into the clay so that no loose dust remains in viv, which may affect the frogs' skin absorption ability if it clogs their pores. Take care not to breathe the dust or wear a mask when applying it.

The long term effects on frogs (or people) has not yet been determined in studies (as to whether it is either safe or unsafe), so it is a gamble to use in viv (as with most things).

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
If you use micronized zinc oxide (2.5 microns or smaller particulate size), be sure it is fully saturated and worked into the clay so that no loose dust remains in viv, which may affect the frogs' skin absorption ability if it clogs their pores. Take care not to breathe the dust or wear a mask when applying it.

The long term effects on frogs (or people) has not yet been determined in studies (as to whether it is either safe or unsafe), so it is a gamble to use in viv (as with most things).
Actually fine powdered clay IS unsafe, I use a respirator mask when I mix any clay until it's wet

·
Registered
681 Posts
Actually fine powdered clay IS unsafe, I use a respirator mask when I mix any clay until it's wet

Very true! It's best to mix the clay outside with the wind at your back. If you mix it in the garage make sure you move the cars. That ultra fine clay powder gets on everything.

Casper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts