Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering who has experience with it inside a viv? Just ordered some online and was wondering how its growth habits are. Any tips on growing it will be great.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry to bereak the news, but this is not a true moss and will quickly die in your vivarium...

I think all of us have had this same experience, so do not fret.

David Knight

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Knew it wasnt a true moss, but there are acounts i heard of where people used them in their viv, and i think terra 5 said something about it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are you really sure that is not true moss.....

I put some in my terrarium 5-10 days.... Some of the seed is making little tiny leaves.... So I will write to you for more info....

Just in case.... red irish leaves.... the leaves of lucke charms... I don't know the word in english.... Really don't do well in terrarium I try it and the only thing that is do is to die really rapaidely.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Our, as well as friends', experience is that it will grow for several days, and then quickly rot. It is a temperate species of grass, I believe. I am positive it is not a moss.

David Knight

G

·
i will have to say that some temperate plants do have interesting results in vivarium conditions. i had some moss growing outside my new house that looked like sheet moss, but wasnt ( i honestly have not figured out what it really is yet) when i submerged it in water and put it under strong lights, it grew thick and tall like grass! the leaves are still microscopic, but the stalks are about 2" tall now, and it looks really cool growing on driftwood. kinda like a chia pet =)

I say go for the irish. if it dies, it dies and you can replant. but if you never try it, then what will you learn. Someone told me that the moss i have im my tank now will eventually die, because it is a temperate plant. untill that point however, it is looking wicked cool and it can stand up to my tincs trampling it all the time. maybe next year i will just have to pull some more up off the ground and put it in there =)

G

·
Hey there,

I tried scotch moss Sagina subulata about 3 weeks ago in my viv. I believe its just like irish moss but a darker color. I have semi-decent lighting (my bromeliads do fine) but this stuff went spindly pretty fast. It didn't take long for it to rot out, now it looks pretty bad. I'm gunna tear it out. Try it if you like. My bet's that it'll die and you'll chalk it up to experience just like I did.

`dj [/i]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts