Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago my boyfriend and I received 5 iquitos vent tadpoles (as well as 12 leucpmela tadpoles) from another member. This is our first group of tadpoles and we're completely enthralled with them.

The iquitos were nicely developed when we got them; they had their back legs.

Every day we watch them, hoping for their tiny front feet to come out. Every day we swore it would be the day they popped. It didn't happen. Until last night the biggest tad (christened Big Head) had a tiny little foot sticking out and, today he has two front legs! :D

Four more to go, I can't wait. I am just very happy with this, I though I'd share :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
That is great news. They will grow up to be gorgeous frogs. Ours finally laid their first eggs this weekend. I was getting a little worried because our female was starting to look like she swallowed a marble. :) Grats on your babies.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! & congrats on your eggs.

I can't wait until they start to color up, they really are stunning. My beau fell in love with them and had to have them, they are just that beautiful.

How old are yours now? & how long after they sprouted legs did yours leave the water?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Our Iquitos Vent are about a year old now. We have heard calling for months and were almost worried we had all boys. A pair finally laid in a 45 degree white film canister that was a little more than half way filled with water.

You have a couple options once your tad sprouts all four legs. First option, if the container is large enough, you could be to tilt the container you currently have the tad in to a 45 degree angle to allow the frog to crawl out of the water when ready. Second option would be to move the little guy into a morph-out tank. A typical morph-out tank consists of a rectangle ziploc (shoebox) container that is setup on a slant. The lower end is filled with a little tadpole tea and the other end has some moist sphagnum and springtails.

Here is a couple picks of our new parents.
Female:

Male:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Easyescape, your frogs are gorgeous! I hope ours have sub nice color. Do you suppliment with superpig?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are two pictures from tonight. My awesome boyfriend put together a frog rack for me and I took some time to take some pictures of the little dudes. I think they are looking great :D

Some spring tails from the froglets grow out tank jumped in for the photo op.

And Big Head again, smiling for the camera

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a question, when do we start offering dusted fruit flies? And approximately how many fruit fries per froglet?
Their grow out tank is teaming with with springtails, so there is plenty for them to munch on in the meantime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts