Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Dendroboard,

This is one of my first posts, but i've been lurking around on Dendroboard for about a year, utilizing the "search" function a lot to avoid asking redundant questions and learning something new everyday. Hopefully, I will become an asset to this community, as i get more and more into this hobby. I arrived at this hobby after about 15 years of raising and breeding everything from discus, tanganyikan cichlids, corals, larger tree frogs (I sure do love white's tree frogs) and chameleons. A year later, i know much better than to accept frogs from questionable sources, but I came upon my first dart frogs (tinctorius) that were given to me in trade for a co2 system for an ADA tank.

For the last year and a half, I've very slowly and meticulously been planning and building out a hobbyists frog room, trying to learn the best practices (such as clay substrate, quarantine of plants, decorations and frogs, as well as performing your own fecals and treating for diseases/parasites). I even went out and bought a Celestron LCD microscope, so hopefully I can capture images and share my findings with you all.

I am currently raising Azureus, Powderblue and Patricia's... the azureus and powderblue have been consistently laying good clutches of eggs for the last month and i find myself rapidly expanding to accommodate the incoming tadpoles and froglets. I am interested in raising thumbs and pumilio because I find their breeding activity fascinating.

I live in San Francisco, California... where it is pretty much never below 50degrees, but rarely above 70 for most of the year either. I currently am building out a room on the 2nd floor of an apartment building that will house multiple 40b Verts (about 5-6),12-20h verts, and several 10g and 20qt sterlite gasketboxes as quarantine and grow outs. I am using clay substrate following pumlio's recipe, and a mixture of ecoweb paneling, 2 part epoxy, great stuff, clay for the background.

Sorry for the long introduction, now here is my question. What is the most efficient way to heat the entire room? has anyone ever tried one of the e-heater electric wall panels below? Im worried that if i hook too many heating pads and lights up that it will trigger the fuse breaker switch when im not home and cut off all electricity depriving my frogs of heat. How do you all heat your frog rooms?

Electric Wall Panel Heater | Econo-Heat Australia

thank you.

ps. this is my first post here, so moderators if i did this wrong, please feel free to correct me and relocate the post.

Jay

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it is a great idea only one problem is that it is for australian electrical code. Maybe they make on for the USA electrical code. If it needs to be pluged in. If not your electrician could run a new 230 volt circuit to the unit.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Most of us dont need any heating besides the lights used to grow the plants and view our vivariums. Even tho they are not heat lights, the 'greenhouse effect' will heat your vivarium substantially and with that many vivariums that you are planning, Im sure your room will be quite warm and you might have to look for a way to cool the room. A drop in temperature at night is good, and with a layer of water under a false bottom inside your vivariums, the tanks should be pretty stable with temperature while the lights are off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback frank and mike.

Mike: I guess i should pay attention more when copying and pasting, i was looking at the US version of their site and somehow ended up on the australian page and copying and pasting that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Frank: The problem is it's not an insulated room. The room is pretty nice sized, The big drawback is that there is a huge picture window in the room and it gets freezing in the winter. I've draped the window with a heavy curtain and rubber mat backing to keep the heat in during the winter.
Another issue is I also ordered a custom rack light of LED's to test out as a lighting system (if it doesn't work, i'll go back to t-5's) and as i understand it, they give off very little heat. Will the greenhouse effect still apply here?

What i used last winter to make it through dec/jan was a huge flat space heater that I ran almost 24 hours a day and it was quite costly, even on a minimal setting. I have a pe-2 temp gun ordered from josh's frogs and i did a test where i turned off the space heater and tested the temperature on the floor in the viv. It read 60 degrees and i worry that this is much too cold for some of the more delicate thumbnails i plan to keep.

thanks once again for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts