Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After more than a year of research, collaboration, correspondence with dozens of other hobbyists, I have launched AuratusMorphs.com - Home

This website is a grassroots effort to identify the various morphs and lines of the poison dart frog Dendrobates auratus that are kept in the North American hobby. Through the generous and dedicated effort of many poison dart frog hobbyists, this website is able to present the compiled information and images of Dendrobates auratus.

I have a great passion for dendrobates auratus, an amazing, under appreciated, often confusing species of dart frog. I don't have to tell you that the online morph guides are inadequate, out-of-date, and their use of one representative photo does not do this variable species justice.

Thank you to the current contributors who have shared photos and information to get this website going.

If you have photos or information to contribute, please contact me! You will notice that several morphs are not represented with photos, and others could use more representative photos.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Awesome idea! I'll definitely be following your progress with this.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you need any photos? I was looking through your site and saw the the photos for Nicaraguan and Highland Bronze were missing. I have both of those frogs and would be happy to share some photos if you need them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nice work Joe! It's going right into my favorites!

A few MINOR suggestions. :D

1) Make the pictures a link to the relevant page, not just the text.

2) Cite sources of information when possible.

3) For this page Golden - AuratusMorphs.com I would like to suggest you change this sentence: "The location in Panama of the wild population from which this spectacular morph originates is unknown."

Unless this frog is discovered in the wild (don't hold your breath) then the onus to prove that this frog is not a genetic mutation is on those who export or import this frog. It should not be assumed that it's hiding somewhere in Panama.

4) Re-size the pictures larger or at least offer some very large pictures so that this species can be more easily appreciated.

Overall, a great resource!

·
Registered
761 Posts
It looks like it has lots of potential and will be a nice reference when it's complete. Any plans on including general distribution maps and habitat photos (if available) with each morph profile?

Obviously it's still under construction, but a few things you should think about include: alphabetizing the morph list, making all of the photos the same size (or at least adding a border to each photo to give them the appearance of being the same size) - this would give the page a more streamlined-look - and, of course, an auratus photo on the home page!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, keep the feedback coming.

The stated purpose of the website is to catalogue auratus morphs in the North American frog hobby with multiple representative photos. A project to catalogue the morphs as they are in the wild, with distribution maps and habitat photos is far beyond the scope of anything I can do.

I will change my sentence regarding the golden auratus, as their origin is indeed murky and controversial.

I think ranitomeya, Tincs, pumilio and others could use an up-to-date assessment and catalogue morph guide, but I won't be the one to tackle that!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure it is feasible to site sources... I used a little of everything... Various websites, other morph guides, breeders websites, and then a TON of reading through threads here on dendroboard, and then hundreds of emails and private messages.

For example... I really wanted to know if the camo auratus that joshsfrogs and understory enterprises had were the old Melancon line, or what I had stumbled upon as a reference to an SNDF line... Several emails later between Zach, Elaine, and Marcus, I confirmed that they were indeed from SNDF and that Marcus said they came in with a 2006 import.

It's hard to cite conversations.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's hard to cite conversations.
Joe, I could only come up with three reasons why you might think it's hard. Is it any one of these resons?

1) Because it takes a lot of time to do.
2) Because you are not sure how.
3) Because you believe the effort outweighs the value.

According to the website wikiHow "The purpose for citing is to let readers know that a specific piece of information you're providing has a source, other than your own observation or reasoning. In many cases, the strength and credibility of your work depends on the validity of your sources..."

You have a list of contributors. Perhaps at the least, you would want to put the contributor's name on the relevant page, instead of listing them all on one page.

In the end, it's your website. If you do nothing more with it than you have, I still think it's very good! :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my hesitation is from not knowing how to do so in a concise way. I suppose it could be as easy as "confirmed via conversation with Rob Melancon" unless you can suggest a different format.

it could be easy enough to cite other websites… for example I used wikipedia for the information about the hawaiian auratus (what year, how many, what island) and I used other morph guides as well as Frank Steinman's Leaf litter Article.

It may not happen right away, but I'll work on this!

Joe, I could only come up with three reasons why you might think it's hard. Is it any one of these resons?

1) Because it takes a lot of time to do.
2) Because you are not sure how.
3) Because you believe the effort outweighs the value.

According to the website wikiHow "The purpose for citing is to let readers know that a specific piece of information you're providing has a source, other than your own observation or reasoning. In many cases, the strength and credibility of your work depends on the validity of your sources..."

You have a list of contributors. Perhaps at the least, you would want to put the contributor's name on the relevant page, instead of listing them all on one page.

In the end, it's your website. If you do nothing more with it than you have, I still think it's very good! :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hey Joe!

I haven't allowed myself much time to browse through Dendroboard lately. Been staying busy with work and been trying to stay busy with the Frog Cave. I'm so glad I stumbled across here this morning! :) Very cool and thanks for your hard work! It's a great start and I will be eagerly watching it's growth!

I was even more surprised and honored to see you chose to use some of my photos. Thank you! :eek: It looks like you used them from the website. I apologize, I haven't updated that in some time (and there's a whole lot of changes/additions I could add!). If you go to the facebook page and look through the albums, then you'll find I've added a few more pics there. For example, the Microspots have a few better pics (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.145302482298228.31034.109024079259402&type=3). Of course, you're always more than welcome to use them. I'm still at the 5 morphs of Auratus- Blue & Black, Costa Rican, Camo, Microspot, and Hawaiian.

Keep up the hard work!

Oh, and I'll make sure to throw a link to your site up on Facebook too. ;)

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
Fantastic idea and site!!
I hope other follow your lead for Ranitomeya and Tincs
very well done

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Not sure how long it has been up, but I've already been checking out the site a few times... Very nice, good to see this species getting some love.

I picked up some superblues at local show, price was to good to pass on, but I still want some of those green and white! :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts