Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. My husband RicknMo and I have been doing a lot of reading here and other places for the past month or so. We have experience maintaining saltwater reefs tanks and have been talking about dart frogs for a few years now. This is the year for us. We've decided on D. Tinctorius Cobalts for our first frogs and have been researching and building our first vivarium in a 46 gallon bow front tank. We plan to have three juvenile frogs at first and see if we get a pair from that. I'm excited about watching them grow and learning more about them. We've got fruit flies going and have a quarantine tank going. I'm looking for a knowledgeable vet to do testing on the frogs but am struggling to find one. Are there any good vets you can point me towards? I'd like to give our frogs the best care possible. We have the vivarium partially completed but lack a top (not sure what happened to the one we had) and am looking to add some small bromeliads to the plants. We've got a little miss on order from an online vendor but I haven't decided where to get the broms from yet. Recommendations would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

Becky

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi!

Sounds like a neat set-up you have in-process. I started my search yesterday for a vet in my area and also am finding it difficult. I plan to call a view of the "exotic" vets and ask them about amphibian care and/or at least fecal testing in-general. I'd imagine that any vet that can run a fecal on reptiles should be able to complete a frog fecal, I could be wrong but from my experience, fecal tests are pretty basic. I know in my readings on here that some individuals use a mail in for fecal and other disease testing. I am not aware of those places off the top of my head.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you and your husband are really going about this the right way, so I applaud you on that. I'm sure you will both really love watching your tincs grow, but watch out - this hobby can become addicting really quick! Before you know it you might very well be watching several more frogs. ;)

Not sure about the vets... where are you located? Maybe someone near you can help you locate a reputable vet.

As for the bromeliads, what type are you looking for? Epiphytic neoregelias or terrestrial ones like vriseas and others? The tincs won't "use" them like many thumbnails would (for breeding and egg/tad deposits), but that doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't utilize them. My Azureus love to sometimes sit in an axil and soak... like a mini hot tub! There are tons of places you can find bromeliads... especially online. There are many, many sites you can buy from if you don't mind shipping. Too many to name, but just search Google for "bromeliads for sale" or "neoregelias for sale". Big box stores often carry them as well, but be careful if you buy from there, as they usually use fertilizers that are not frog-safe, and many times they will end up growing much larger than you'd think.

I think your best bet would be to find some here on the forum classifieds area. Lots of members often sell bromeliads that they grow either in their tanks or outside them. You will tend to get better pricing this way, and most all that are offered will be generally good for vivarium use. I've purchased dozens of neoregelias this way and couldn't be happier with the process.

Good luck in your searches, your vivarium build and your new frogs! And good luck trying to keep just them... ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. We are in Springfield, MO. I was thinking mainly epiphytes for the background wall and on a couple pieces of wood. I'm too new to be able to post in the classified section here but I have looked at a ton of sites online. We have some photos of our build so far and will post them here if that is most appropriate.

We have a small, trickling water feature in the far left side of our tank. It's really just a dripping section of wall that feeds down into some river pebbles. There's no standing water at all and we made sure to create a big enough area behind a false wall that we can mess with the pump if needed. It doesn't take up too much space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts