Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone. my names chad. I was thinking the other day about getting new roomates. i have a year old bearded dragon named dewi and hes awesome. ive had my fair share of aquariums and im burnt out on those. i was thinking of getting some frogs, thus why im here talking to you all =]. my bearded dragon is in a 40 gallon breeder right now however i am in the process of finishing his 4x2x2 foot cage. and i also have a 55 gallon aquarium. my question is, is the 55 gallon to narrow to make a viv out of? i dont know what tank to use. i see everyones vivs on here and they all seem to be vertical 20 gallons and the exo tanks. i guess im just a little confused. i plan on haveing a water feature. i do not know what froggies i want yet though. i may do without a water feature but my questions about that are if the frogs breed. the tads need water and if there is no water feature where will they go? any comments would be useful. ive searched this forum nonstop for a few days now.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Welcome!

55g is on the large side but is perfectly fine for a viv. I have a 55g display with leucomelas aside from my racks of verts and exos.

If you want a water feature make sure you research frogs that actually live near water. A lot of darts are arboreal and dont live near water. They lay in broms or in curled up leaves with water, etc. As far as your viv.. if you dont do the water feature. Lots of people use film canister, petri dishes, etc to retreive eggs/tads from. Or even use bromeliads as well. They are just harder to check/retrieve.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so maybe ill disregaurd the water feature and instead incorporate a mister. i guess the water feature is more work. although it is pleasing to my eye, i want whats best for the froggies. so after the frogs lay a clutch of eggs in say a peatree dish, you would then move them into there own tank? im not planning on getting eggs right away but i would love to gather in all the info so i would know what to do if it ever happened

·
Registered
446 Posts
Check this out as far as your egg question...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/13183-egg-care-sheet.html

Mister.. if this is your only tank.. unless your wanting to automate and spend a lot of cash. I bought a spray hand mister from lowes for $7. This is fine for several tanks.

You can still do a water feature, just make sure you research froggies. I wouldnt recommend one but it can be done. There are several LARGE debates here on water features.

Also research false bottoms for your build.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you go without the water feature the less headache the build will be. They look good if done right but can lead to some of the biggest problems during a build. Like mentioned above search false bottoms and read through the construction journals to get ideas. Also there is a book out that will help a lot. Its great for a beginner. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/sp...ok-poison-dart-frogs-guide-care-breeding.html
A 55 gal would do fine I have one with 4 auratus over a year old and they love it. Good luck to ya and dont forget to use the search function often!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts