Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all :)

i want to get a feel of how many ppl use internal fans?
on which types of darts?
or do you use fans for all of them?

i picked up 15 computer fans for 1$ each on new egg. then i picked up alot of ac/dc adapters at the thrift store.

ive added a fans to my pum tanks and I am starting to wire something up for the rest of my frogs. im thinking circulation would be good for the plants as well.

all my tanks are sealed up with minimal screen venting. humidity stays 90-100 percent with or without fans so tanks dying out is not an issue.

also temps in living room 72-74, in frog room 76-82

for those who have used internal fans ...have you seen alot of benefit from this?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It benefits everything imo. Cools the tank down a few degrees if it's to hot for the frogs (this means they are out in the open more), and for some species of plants makes a noticeable different in health. Take a look at this polka dot plant in the picture. The ruffled unhealthy leaves were growth before I added my fans. The new leaves are growth after the fans were installed and turned on. Notice the vibrance of the pink, before and after also.

·
Registered
610 Posts
based on my research on the board I have concluded that circulation for Pum's is not essential but highly recomended. I'm in the starting phase of setting up 6 pum tanks and I will be putting fans in each of those tanks. I have a fan in my basti tank and after a years operation everything is fine. Recently doug (pumilo) posted a link for setting up internal fans that is real nice. I'll see if I can find it when I get home and post it.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Beat ya to it!
DIY Air Circulation | GlassTropics
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=581721
Certainly it is for the frogs! It improves the health and well being of the frogs, and the plants. Plus just improving the smell of the viv and clearing your front glass.
I am worried that the OP did not mention any kind of housing or screen? It's just a matter of time before frogs find those fan blades the hard way if it is exposed.
Good point pumilo! Ever just stick your head inside a viv and take a big wiff? Love doing that at -30 outside haha. Try doing that in a viv without air circulation and it can be terrible. I think the frogs appreciate it also.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Beat ya to it!
DIY Air Circulation | GlassTropics
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=581721
Certainly it is for the frogs! It improves the health and well being of the frogs, and the plants. Plus just improving the smell of the viv and clearing your front glass.
I am worried that the OP did not mention any kind of housing or screen? It's just a matter of time before frogs find those fan blades the hard way if it is exposed.
they are screened in :)
ive noticed on my pum tank that since the fan is in there they are out and about a lot more. and i mean alot more. normally w/o a fan they tend to sit in the broms. with the fans they are all over the tank. maybe coincidence time will tell.

of course ive heard of the benefits to pum and that some ppl report animals dying possibly from being in a sealed viv w/o circulation. i added a fan to my cobalts last night, i have to say they are as bold as pit bulls. no matter what i do in their tank they just sit and dare me to make them move :) anyways once i put the fan in there, i thought the noise or whatever might bother them, but instead they took turns sitting right in front of it. as if they were really enjoying the breeze.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I put a fan in one viv. I loved it so much I began construction on 11 more!! Just finished them but have not installed them yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Darts live on the floor, hence not much air circulation is needed. Tree frogs on the other hand, need good air flow.

Also, air stagnation will promote mold, which isn't good for the plants, or (any kind of) frogs.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
how do you wire computer fans to plug in a wall socket? I've seen people get boxes that controls fans....to people using phone chargers. Is there a way you all use or prefer that is simple and good? I want to put a few fans in my vivs....

·
Registered
802 Posts
they are screened in :)
ive noticed on my pum tank that since the fan is in there they are out and about a lot more. and i mean alot more. normally w/o a fan they tend to sit in the broms. with the fans they are all over the tank. maybe coincidence time will tell.

of course ive heard of the benefits to pum and that some ppl report animals dying possibly from being in a sealed viv w/o circulation. i added a fan to my cobalts last night, i have to say they are as bold as pit bulls. no matter what i do in their tank they just sit and dare me to make them move :) anyways once i put the fan in there, i thought the noise or whatever might bother them, but instead they took turns sitting right in front of it. as if they were really enjoying the breeze.
Is everyone having this same experience? Does internal air circulation make that big of a difference? Maybe I'll need to get working on a fan for my tank as well then... :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Let's put it this way. We've all seen posts about people touting the benefits they've seen after putting a fan in.
I'm still waiting to see ONE SINGLE PERSON say that they did it and it was a waste and wish they had not bothered. I don't think this person exists!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just added a fan on top of my tank that blows cooler air into the tank. I have window screen and it rests on top. I have it on a timer for 10mins 3 times a day at lowest speed. I use old cell phone chargers 12 v fan on 5 v charger will make the fan run really slow which is perfect.( and another useful tip is using 5v comp fans older smaller CPU fans.. Beware they are extremely fast and blow more air than traditional fans due to the wattage of them and a 5v cell phone charger.. So they run at max need to adjust flow.) So far my tank has less moisture on the glass, overall freshness of air seems better. I will continue to use fans in my other tanks

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I just added a fan on top of my tank that blows cooler air into the tank. I have window screen and it rests on top. I have it on a timer for 10mins 3 times a day at lowest speed. I use old cell phone chargers 12 v fan on 5 v charger will make the fan run really slow which is perfect.( and another useful tip is using 5v comp fans older smaller CPU fans.. Beware they are extremely fast and blow more air than traditional fans due to the wattage of them and a 5v cell phone charger.. So they run at max need to adjust flow.) So far my tank has less moisture on the glass, overall freshness of air seems better. I will continue to use fans in my other tanks
Be careful with that. That could drastically change your humidity. Most of us are talking about just recirculation. Air simply being moved around inside the viv. Not blowing dry air from outside the viv, into the viv.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hmm okay I will monitor it closely, I have no frogs inside and my hum gauge only drops to low 80's from 100. Temp drops 5 degrees

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Steve, check out the threads I referenced in post #5. That shows how a lot of us are doing it. It allows us to clear the glass, get the benefits of circulation, while still keeping humidity up around 90 percent.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how do you wire computer fans to plug in a wall socket? I've seen people get boxes that controls fans....to people using phone chargers. Is there a way you all use or prefer that is simple and good? I want to put a few fans in my vivs....
im a nurse and by no stretch of the imagination an electrician...hehe so i take no responsibility if you fry yourself:p

that being said i cut the end off the adapter (like a 9v converter for a toy or a 5v for cell phones), (i paid less than 2$ each for these at a thrift store) and wire it to the pc fan (the pc fans come with a pretty long wire attached making splicing it to the adapter easy) if i want 2 fans in a viv i just wire them both together to the adapter. then plug the 9v or 5v adapter into 110 outlet.

if the fan is running backwards unplug it and reverse the wires.

i hope that made sense

so far ive been running them all day then turning the fans off with the lights at night. btw they are almost silent while running.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
im a nurse and by no stretch of the imagination an electrician...hehe so i take no responsibility if you fry yourself:p

that being said i cut the end off the adapter (like a 9v converter for a toy or a 5v for cell phones), (i paid less than 2$ each for these at a thrift store) and wire it to the pc fan (the pc fans come with a pretty long wire attached making splicing it to the adapter easy) if i want 2 fans in a viv i just wire them both together to the adapter. then plug the 9v or 5v adapter into 110 outlet.

if the fan is running backwards unplug it and reverse the wires.

i hope that made sense

so far ive been running them all day then turning the fans off with the lights at night. btw they are almost silent while running.
Ok thanks for the answer ! Do you happen to know which adapter is best? Which brands do you use....if you use one. I've heard some work and some dont....so just wanna get something i can use :). Appreciate the advice !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts