1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Now where the heck do you find 1/2" diameter straws?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Ask, and you shall receive! Thanks guys. Looks like plenty of choices.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. I didn't know that. Great research JP. I hope local conservation groups are willing to deploy the straws where habitat is still good, especially for endangered morphs.
That's JP - MonarchzMan on the board.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Just to be clear there have been several different studies on this such as the following (the jstor links do work).

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

(study didn't add resources but compared them between two areas) Population differences in female resource abundance, adult sex ratio, and male mating success in Dendrobates pumilio

Oecologia, Volume 129, Number 4 - SpringerLink all of which point to wards the ability to potentially set up a farming situation.

If I remember correctly, wasn't to some extent this the method used by Inbico (R. Schulte (ah yes see Peru).

Ed

Reactions: thedude

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. I didn't know that. Great research JP. I hope local conservation groups are willing to deploy the straws where habitat is still good, especially for endangered morphs.
That's JP - MonarchzMan on the board.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Just to be clear there have been several different studies on this such as the following (the jstor links do work).

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

(study didn't add resources but compared them between two areas) Population differences in female resource abundance, adult sex ratio, and male mating success in Dendrobates pumilio

Oecologia, Volume 129, Number 4 - SpringerLink all of which point to wards the ability to potentially set up a farming situation.

If I remember correctly, wasn't to some extent this the method used by Inbico (R. Schulte (ah yes see Peru).

Ed
All of that is true, but my study is a little bit different in that it examines population changes as a result of artificial resource supplementation. It approaches it from a conservation angle rather than just an empirical angle as Prohl's papers look at. I just demonstrate significant population increases as a result of resource supplementation.

The study is most analogous to INIBICO, but I would argue that my study offers an actual economic method for conserving small dendrobatids. The INIBICO project uses the similar idea, but used cut bottles, which is all well and good, but it is unlikely that one could get the numbers that I used for as cheaply as I managed to get them. I managed to get 4,500 bubble tea straws for $72. I was able to set half of those up (couldn't set them all up because I ran out of space in quadrats) for probably $100 total (including the cost of the straws). While it is possible to do what INIBICO did with bottles, it would be difficult to do at the scale that I did it with straws, not without a great deal of time invested as well.

You're right that the idea of resource supplementation is not a new thing, but I think that I am the first study that shows that it can be done at a large scale for little money and done quickly. Four of us were able to cover a 100 square meter area with straws in an hour (and that was with doing initial surveys of frogs in each of the 18 quadrats). It can't feasibly/cheaply be done with PVC tubes, bottle halves, film canisters, test tube caps, etc. It was really my involvement in the hobby that led to the inspiration of using straws for conservation.

Jim, I did present the research in Bocas and there was quite a bit of interest from the people there, but the most interested was Chris van der Lingen. It's a bit of a tragedy, on many scales, that he passed. I hope others take up his passion, and if/when they do, I'll have a method to help the frogs.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
JP, I was addressing Jim's comment about the fact that it is not as novel an idea as was presented in his post. I referenced the correct data demonstrating that the idea as an application for farming was not novel...

Is that data published?

Some comments,

Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts