Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently moved and my apartment gets direct afternoon sunlight. I've noticed that the heat off the curtained windows and wall (its mostly floor to ceiling windows so limited space to place my two tanks) make the back of the tanks moderately hot. Currently have a fan going to cool them down (and my curtains are the thick blackout type) but wondering if some sort of foam insulation sprayed on the back directly onto the glass would help with the situation?? Anybody have suggestions?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've recently moved and my apartment gets direct afternoon sunlight. I've noticed that the heat off the curtained windows and wall (its mostly floor to ceiling windows so limited space to place my two tanks) make the back of the tanks moderately hot. Currently have a fan going to cool them down (and my curtains are the thick blackout type) but wondering if some sort of foam insulation sprayed on the back directly onto the glass would help with the situation?? Anybody have suggestions?
Might also want to try wrapping the back of the tank with either something White or maybe possibly aluminum. Both will reflect a considerable amount of heat. It works great for reducing the heat in a house if the roof has something like that, however I am not entirely sure how this would work in an enclosed tank situation. Might be worth a try though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the rigid foam will do the trick as there is just too much window for the aluminum and the tanks are already protected from direct sunlight.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Ideally you want the insulation away from the tank if possible to prevent direct heat transfer from the light hitting the insulation. If I was in your position I would use some of the bigger sheets to actually block the light from hitting the back of the rack which should leave an air gap behind the tanks. If you could direct a fan to blow from the floor level up towards the ceiling in that gap you should be able to achieve a good bit of cooling.

Ed

·
Registered
315 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.