Dendroboard banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Springtails are part of the in-viv microfauna, and froglets (and adult frogs) eat them. Yes, some (most?) Ranitomeya are partially or totally dependent on springtails for their first food. Springs can't (practically/effectively/simply) be supplemented, so using a calcium-rich clay substrate and providing metered levels of UVB lighting helps the calcium intake of the froglets.

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A little update: I already put a (hopeful) pair of retics in the viv; they were breeding in the holding viv and there seemed to be a little bit of tension in there, so I pulled out the two I think were breeding (they were courting, anyway). There are more tads in the holding viv now too; I think I may have two pairs. :)

It isn't quite grown in as much as I was hoping before adding frogs, but it's OK:

Plant Vertebrate Botany Pet supply Organism

The Philodendrons are looking lovely:

Plant Terrestrial plant Flower Flowering plant Wood

Also: the new InSitu lights are upgraded, which took me a little while to discover, embarrasingly. I had thought that the lights on my two older Amazonias were getting tired already (when I looked at them next to the new ones), but the new generation of InSitu lights have added some green diodes and some "near IR" ones:

These newer lights have much better color rendition (a little 'cooler' looking, but also just more fullness of color). They do, interestingly, run 20 degrees F hotter than the old ones (both on top of the panel and on the diffuser surface). I've just ordered the replacement lights for my older Amazonias.

Comparison with the old-gen lights on the left hand viv, and the new ones on the right:

Plant Fixture Pet supply Organism Vegetation

·
Registered
Ranitomeya and Oophaga
90 Posts
This unique nurse log idea the the unique plant selections you have paired with it are fascinating and I am eager to see the continued progress. Cool stuff. Any insight on your row of diagonal film cans would be appreciated. Is this your preferred arrangement for Ranitomeya to have them in a diagonal row at ground level?

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Any insight on your row of diagonal film cans would be appreciated. Is this your preferred arrangement for Ranitomeya to have them in a diagonal row at ground level?
So, I plan to raise the tads in the viv (that is, caring for them artificially in the same way I would out of the viv), and these are the deposition sites (well, actually I'm going to make some white - so I can see the tads - magnet mount ones as soon as the supplies get here). I actually had a tad going like this in the holding viv, and then stupidly flushed it out without noticing. :(

Typically with egg feeders (which these are not) I'd scatter the canisters in partially hidden places throughout the viv. They're out front for my feeding convenience. :)

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Pictures of the frogs?
He, he... you must have me confused with someone with photography skills -- these are fast little guys. Yes, I'll see what I can do for photos. :)

I got two solids and two striped. The person I got them from keeps them mixed, as does Chris Miller, so I kind of assume that this is legit. It is nice that each pair I have (one confirmed, one I'm not 100% sure about) is one of each, so I can keep them straight.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts