Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I saw this bug, insect, centipede looking insect in my viv this weekend and as soon as I put fruit flies in the tank, it quickly starts eating them. It's just awful! I noticed my Veradero's are losing weight, and I believe it's because this bug and who knows how many more of them there are in the tank, are eating the fruit flies. What is it? Is it harmful for my frogs. Can they get a lot bigger? What should I do?

I have a tank ready to place thumbs in, so should I move my frogs? And if I put tincs in this tank (auratus/azureus) will those types of frogs eat this type of bug?

Thank you for your help. I did try to use the search feature and I did read the thread with the creepy crawly creature that no one can figure out what it is. :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Definitely a centipede. Centipedes are venomous and not sure how big it is in relation to your frogs, but you might want to get it out if you can.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is about as long as a thumbnail I would say or just about. So, is it venemous to me? Are they common in tanks? How did it get in there? I'm in Houston,Texas, is this a normal bug for this area? I wish I knew more about bugs, I'm just very ignorant when it comes to this. Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm googling the bug now and definitely a centipede. I'll read more info there. I'm scared to death now. I think I saw one in my Tarapoto tank too. :(

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yeah thats a normal bug for the area around you, but it didnt crawl into the tank. it probably hitched a ride in a plant or wood. KILL IT!!!! at some point it has the possibility to prey on your frogs.

this is a version found in AZ, maybe same sp.? they can get pretty big

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whaaaaa!!! Why me? I really hate this. I hope it will be easy. It's really hard to get all the way down in this 29g tank. :(

·
Registered
301 Posts
You might want to use twezzers to catch,they have a nasty bite.Some of the bigger species has a venomous bite to animals,like frogs mice etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would remove the frogs asap, centipedes are pretty roudy creatures. they have no problem taking down prey their same size or larger than themselves. I think that I saw you posted that it is the same size as your frogs, so if hungry enough, I don't think that it would hesitate to try froglegs. I would remove frogs and CO2 bomb the tank a few times, and then wait a while to confirm they are gone. check out centipedes on youtube and you will have much more respect for what they can tackle.
I cant say if it is poisonous to you or not, I would try tweezers or sissors and kill it asap. good luck.
mike

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:(

All I can say is I'm not happy at all that he's in my tank. I am more unhappy about it than I am the snails that have infested one of my other tanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well if you ever have the time you could pull the frogs out of the snail tank and then get a milk cap and then put some beer in it..and put it in the tank..thats what I'm doing seems to be working quite well. just a thought when you have the centipede issue taken care of :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? And this just kills the slugs/snails? That would be awesome and doesn't sound hard to do. Thanks!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well if you ever have the time you could pull the frogs out of the snail tank and then get a milk cap and then put some beer in it..and put it in the tank..thats what I'm doing seems to be working quite well. just a thought when you have the centipede issue taken care of :)
yea I'd like to know how on earth this works...

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
This does work, it attracts them and they drown, but just like using lettuce, it's only a control. It won't completely eradicate them because they are going to leave eggs behind.

·
Administrator
8,789 Posts
You're either going to have to "nuke" your tank (look up CO2 Bomb) or pull your frogs and start over.

If/when you start over - make sure you clean your plants and your leaf litter thoroughly.

s

·
Registered
539 Posts
This does work, it attracts them and they drown, but just like using lettuce, it's only a control. It won't completely eradicate them because they are going to leave eggs behind.
They will lay their eggs in the beer, or on the outside edges of the cap. At least thats what I was told by Tuckerim(Chris) Since I started doing it about two weeks ago or so ive seen a major improvement I was getting 10-12 snails a night in there now its down to about 2-3. Once again though I was told in order to get rid of them you have to replace the cap with the beer in it every single night so the new eggs wont hatch. This could be wrong though! But Chris seems to always be right 110% of the time. He did stat that it had worked for him..seems to be working for me so far. Also Scott, I thought a Co2 Bomb Wouldn't work to well with snails?? unless you were referring to the centipede?

·
Administrator
8,789 Posts
I was referring to the centipede.

Once you have one - it's pretty much a given you have more.

I've got them in one tank (first one ever - I've been pretty lucky) and I know I'm going to have to break that tank down eventually to get rid of them.

I've been nuking my leaf litter ever since.

s

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Just because you don't see the effects of snails doesn't mean they're not there. The beer method works. The cucumber/lettuce method works. But they're all just measures one can take to control the population. If you stop long enough eventually the population will reestablish itself. The only way to stop hitch-hikers it to kill them before they enter the tank. That means cooking your wood and leaf litter and bleaching your plants.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
First off that big thing in the pic won't be in your viv lol. I hand pick my viv everyday, of centipedes, snails and slugs when I see them. I haven't heard of centipedes attacking frogs, but I head they eat eggs. Centipedes f'ing sink, and I noticed they just hand around wood. It really seems like bugs are inevitable. I really go through my vivs daily. I might get some sluggo for the snails and slugs. I'm not ready to be moving frogs out of vivs to CO2 bomb yet.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts