Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need input on the best way to fabricate a drain for a small (12"x12"x18") vivarium. The vivarium is currently sittng on a shelf so it would be difficult to put a bulkhead in the bottom. will air line tubing secured to the bottom under the substrate work for syphoning. I could run the tubing up behind the background and out and hook up an airlifter pump to it, just afraid that dust from the ABG mix would sift down into the hydroton and harm the airlifter. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vivarium will be for clown tree frogs and a second possibly for phelusma klemmeri.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I need input on the best way to fabricate a drain for a small (12"x12"x18") vivarium. The vivarium is currently sittng on a shelf so it would be difficult to put a bulkhead in the bottom. will air line tubing secured to the bottom under the substrate work for syphoning. I could run the tubing up behind the background and out and hook up an airlifter pump to it, just afraid that dust from the ABG mix would sift down into the hydroton and harm the airlifter. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vivarium will be for clown tree frogs and a second possibly for phelusma klemmeri.
yesh that will work.
I have a tube going through the false bottom and I suck the water out using a syringe.
I'm on the phone right now so I can't upload pics lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you think about it, post pictures, I think that is the route I am going to go, thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I could run the tubing up behind the background and out and hook up an airlifter pump to it
yesh that will work.
if you want to cause an electrical fire this is a good idea.

a dosing pump is similar but made for liquids it uses a soft tube and a rotating bar to squeeze liquids through the pump unlike an air pump which uses a diaphragm and isnt intended for liquids.

heres how i accomplished the same thing with NO moving parts:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/35062-how-drain-tank-easily.html

james

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently drilled two tanks and used a rubber grommet in the hole with a PVC through it. i'll get some pics for you if you need..

·
Registered
586 Posts
You can actually pick up an aqualifter 20 by Toms. It will move water by way of a diaphragm and is designed to move liquids specifically. You can hook a pre-filter up to the intake end and not worry about debris. You can even just pick up an Aquaclear sponge for cheap and attach it to the intake as a means of pre-filtering the water.

http://www.amazon.com/Toms-Aquatics-Oscar-AquaLifter/dp/B000NP5OW6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322046275&sr=8-3

I honestly think this is the easiest and cheapest way for an undrilled automated drain.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
You can actually pick up an aqualifter 20 by Toms. It will move water by way of a diaphragm and is designed to move liquids specifically. You can hook a pre-filter up to the intake end and not worry about debris. You can even just pick up an Aquaclear sponge for cheap and attach it to the intake as a means of pre-filtering the water.

Amazon.com: AquaLifter: Pet Supplies

I honestly think this is the easiest and cheapest way for an undrilled automated drain.
if automation is required its still cheaper to do the system i explain in the last post and add a solenoid on a timer. its also likely to last much longer.

DC 12V 1/4 Inch Electric Solenoid Valve for Air Water_Tools & Home Improvement_Home, Garden & Office_SuntekStore.com Free Ship: Accessories for Cell Phone Laptop Video Camera iPod iPhone Jewelry Clothing

its not the only way to drain a tank but its a damn good one.
james

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You wouldn't have to drill the bottom of the tank to make a drain either. You could easily drill near the bottom of the back pane to accommodate a small PTC bulkhead (like what you would use with a mistking), then just connect some tubing to it and run it into a bucket. The water will never go above the bulkhead.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys. Not sure if I am going to use air line tubing and make a manual drain without drilling or if I am going to use an aqualifter pump. Just for clarification, it is an aqualifter pump made for pumping water as the name implies, commonly used either to create a siphon for an aquarium overflow or as someone else mentioned for auto water top off. You guys answered my main question though, that I don't need to drill these small tanks in order to effectively and easily drain the excess water from misting. Excellent ideas on the pre filters as well just have to figure out where to buy them from. Any suggestions? Guess knowledge is key but wish someone would tell you when you buy a misting system that you are going to need a method for draining the excess water so something could have been built in before construction was complete. Oh well live and learn, thanks again for the input guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts