Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has run into this issue before. The newest leaf to emerge from the axil looks like its wilting. I have had this happen to a different brom a couple months back and when I wiggled the wilting leaf it just pulled away/detached from the brom altogether. I am wondering if anyone know what causes this. The other two broms in the same enclosure look great. On the other brom that this happened to it stopped producing new leaves. It still looks fine but has completely stopped growing from what I can tell.

The enclosure stays between 68-73 degrees Fahrenheit and between 60-90% humidity. I spray the tank once a day in the morning. It is mounted to a cork panel on the back wall of the enclosure. It is a neoregelia 'Zoe.'

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you have any moss or substrate around the base? It sounds a bit like it’s rotting due to excess moisture. I could be totally wrong though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have sphagnum moss at the base, but so do the other two. And the location of the wilting brom is actually the most arid of the 3. That certainly doesn't rule out your explanation but I have not had issues for the most part with wrapping the base in sphagnum (other than this one and the other one I mentioned - out of ~14 broms).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I looked at the brom this morning and the water in the axil looked a bit hazy - versus the two other broms whose water looked perfectly clear. I used a rolled up paper towel to soak up the water from the axil and it had a smell to it? It didn’t smell organic to me but I’m guessing it has to be rot? I’ve seen people post about rot having a strong smell.

I pulled off the sphagnum from the base of the brom but it was crispy dry. I really don’t know how it could’ve been overwatered. I should also mention that I’ve had this brom for all of 3 or 4 days.

For those that have dealt with rot, is it possible to recover from or once you have it it’s a goner? I am planning to buy some broms soon so if I need to pull this one and replace it now would be the time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think it would also help if you added a picture so we know exactly what is going on.

Good luck,

Gastrotheca
-----------------------------
Crested Gecko 0.2.0

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the brom from the tank and moved it to a grow out bin but here are some picture of the it:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts