Dendroboard banner

infection or skin disease? (please check attached picture)

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Amagaeru 
#1 ·
My oophaga bulls eye has something white skin around mouth. (please check attached picture)
The frog has the same condition for 3 weeks, it does not looks it gets better.
Does anyone know if it's infection or skin diseases?
If it's disease, could I know how to treat it?
I appreciate any suggestion or idea.
Best regards,

See less See more
#11 ·
Broad spectrum antibiotic ointments in ophthalmic versions are more compatible with frog skin than over the counter standard both in vehicle and dosage delivery. Over the counter neosporin is hydrophobic and can interfere with normal healing of corneum and cause scarring.

I renew a prescription of ophthalmic Neosporin 3.5g every year because its so good to have on hand for emergencies. A transparent connection and communication with ones dr or vet can usually accomplish.

Reactions: Tijl
#12 ·
Seems like he scratched his/her nose and it got a bit infected. The way it looks suggests to me a piece of skin got torn off. Like others said, vet and maybe some first aid. Silversufladiazine is also a great ointment for these type of wounds.

Reactions: Kmc and Tijl
#14 ·
In a laptop zoom it doesnt look 'angry' ie there isnt noticible inflamation or seeping.

Abraded/torn amphibian skin will always appear startling and different than the dark granulated character of wound healing in birds and mammals unless its down deep into the fascia.
Its tempting to always want to Treat. A little gold guide is to apply antisepsis to fresh wounds to prevent infection, but avoid complicating healing areas that have already started to generate new cell layer.
Sometimes they heal faster that way if they eat well and dont re injure.

#15 ·
It is often recommended to keep a portion of the environment dryer than usual when frogs have skin injury.
It seems counterintuitive, as when a guy has problems keepers are often compelled to lavish resources.

It is true though and they will often instinctively participate in seeking compatible conditions that promote their healing.

Good luck i hope it resolves, such gorgeous frogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.