Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering whats the best way to house over 20 breeding pairs of dart frogs. It must be inexpensive. I was thinking 10 gallon tanks with the false bottoms and a misting system that connects to all of them.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Dane said:
Standard 10's converted to verts with shop light fixtures are by far the cheapest. Even so, you're still looking at about $25-30 per tank after parts, plants, leca etc.
Why converted to verts?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
stevendart14 said:
Maybe save space?
It only makes sense for arboreal species that need the vertical space. For terrestrial species, turning the tank on end would not be acceptable.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
keep in mind all species of darts will climb in their natural habitat much higher than any 10 gallon vert. I have seen people keep auratus in 10 verts and they seemed to love it. I would say verts is the way to go, definitely saves space. Also, I have seen people use the somewhat transparent storage containers (shoe boxes?). They are cheap, and you wouldn't need much to get them going, easy to drill/drain, etc. Anyway, good luck

ed parker

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was already going to use shoe boxes for the froglets up to one month. Cut a square out of the top and place acrylic in its place(allow light). I might try a few shoe boxes for some pairs. Thinking of making something similar to snake rake system. The only problem is light getting into the tanks. I'll get a few shoe boxes and experiment a little. For right now 10 gallon is the way to go.

G

·
keep in mind all species of darts will climb in their natural habitat much higher than any 10 gallon vert. I have seen people keep auratus in 10 verts and they seemed to love it. I would say verts is the way to go, definitely saves space. Also, I have seen people use the somewhat transparent storage containers (shoe boxes?). They are cheap, and you wouldn't need much to get them going, easy to drill/drain, etc. Anyway, good luck
I dont think i would do that for terrestrial species. Im sure the auratus seemed to "love" it, but a horizontally positioned enclosure would be much more suitable for the specific specie. Im sure everyone (well most ... considering...) will agree that any member of the tinctorius group of frogs would be much better off in a horizontal 10.

Also why would one use a vertical setup rather than a horizontal, for a mainly terrestrial specie, when they take up the same amount of space?

[possible answer] Maybe he wants to see more of the tank.

This is true, you would see more of the vert; however from what i have read, it seems that he does not want to be elaborate or showy, and he said he wants to have about 20 breeding pairs, which im assuming is right off the bat, this gives me the impression that he is in it more for the money than anything, which means visibility is not his main concern.

So, what is his main concern? My guess would be to get the frogs breeding in the simplest, and most economical of setups. This would result in the greatest profit, if he ( which I assume he is intending to ), sells the offspring.

Just my thoughts :roll:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
A terrestrial species like tinc group or Phyllobates has territory based on floor space not vertical dimension. A 10 gal. is small as it is, I find it unacceptable to attempt to breed something like aurautus in a vert 10.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already have tanks that is a elaborate setup, so now I am trying to find a way where I can alot of frogs without having to spend alot. While the frogs have enought space to be comfortable. I have read that most dart frogs is best keep in pairs. I have limited space and want to be able to afford misting system setup, plants, and such. having 20 pairs is not in the near future. I always think ahead, and I am thinking of a plan where I will be able to get a different pair of frog every month.

·
Super Moderator
3,584 Posts
If you will be using this for terrestrial species, and plan on using a rack setup, you will be able to get more tanks in a smaller space if you go with horizontal 10s. Since they take up about half the height of verts, you could probably get 16-20 on a typical 72"x48" shelving unit.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is what I was going to use for the froglets, I'm nt sure if I will be able to see the frogs clearly. I could make a plexiglass window.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts