Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently finished my tank for my clown tree frogs, I have been cycling the light every 12 hours, but can't get the humidity above 68 percent. The tank is misted twice and day and is planted with live plants but like I said the humidity won't go above 68%.

My frogs need humidity in the 70-80 any ideas on how to increase it

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am guessing that you have a screen top? If so then you need to cover 80-90% of the top off with a piece of glass and that should raise your humidity up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a vertical conversion and there is only a 6 inch screen on the top. and I am using an electronic measurer.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
i was told you can have no screen as long as you open the tank once a day but i do have a 1.5" screen on my tanks.
No ventilation is a bunch of dogmatic BS.... I use ventilation on all of my enclosures.

Ed

Reactions: fishr

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not have a screened vent, just a all glass top for a 20 long with a waterfall. I can not get my humidity above 70%. I run my lights on a 12 hour timer?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I'm wondering about the ill effects of not venting verses the positives of venting.
Right off the bat, we can look at behaviors that differ from those found in the wild (See for example (not free access) CSA)

As for a second, one of the things that has evolved in the hobby is that the temperatures shouldn't go above 75 F for many species and that 80 F is getting close to dangerous. One of the things an enclosure that is totally sealed up is preventing the frogs from doing is engaging in evaporative cooling. This allows the frogs to function just fine at much warmer temperatures. In the past I temperature gunned a D. truncatus, that was feeding that had a skin temperature of more than 90 F. According to dogma in the hobby that frog should have been dead or dying instead of happily foraging for food on a higher level in the tank...

Stagnent air (due to lack of exchange) has also been theorized to include the occasional deaths due to CO2 poisoning...

Some comments,

Ed

Reactions: fishr

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I do not have a screened vent, just a all glass top for a 20 long with a waterfall. I can not get my humidity above 70%. I run my lights on a 12 hour timer?
If you have a waterfall and a solid glass top (which I don't recommend) my guess is that your hygrometer is malfunctioning. I've been using these for a couple of years now and are very reliable. I use them to check temp and humidity levels when we have a change of season. Heating to air conditioning changes the humidity levels in our homes and with the vents I have on my tanks changes them also.

AcuRite Digital Humidity & Temperature Monitor 00613

·
Registered
15 Posts
My temps have been running between 68 and 75 degrees, I purchased one of the exo terra temp & hygro meters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts